For those that are unemployed.

jdove

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2002
Chattanooga,TN
Heres a few things I've been doing.

Every night I search www.carrerbuilder.com and www.monster.com.

Use the keyword search functions as they are very helpfull.

Try networking anywhere and everywhere. Thats what helped me get an interview.

Make sure your resume looks professional and one page only. Type up a nice cover letter to and send that along with every resume.

Be persistant and try to stay positive (this is not the easiest thing to do). I've gone 4-5 days without finding a thing and the next day find three.

Lets post up what we do and keep a look out for eachother here on nastyz.

If anyone runs across an aerospace/defense sales and marketing guy, thats me.

Good luck everybody, and keep your chins up okay...

79camaro2001

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 4, 2003
Monroeville, PA
Also a great place to get into is LinkedIn.com

you can look up old co-workers and old bosses. Get networking with people you have worked with before.

I am a Entry-Level Mechanical Engineer with a lot of Oil Field Experience. But looking to venture out.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Let's try to keep this thread informational in nature and not let it turn into a beatdown on the economy, politics, corporate ethics etc.

I stickied the thread as a place to store good job hunting information, ideas and methods.
Any tips on avoiding employment scams you hear about might be worth posting too.

Remember.... People who may need this information are fellow members.

Thanks for sharing these tips! :D

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
When I was "downsized" out of IBM in 1994, I learned quite a few things along the way.

Networking: a PC way of saying "it's who you know" to get a job especially when companies hire from within and/or don't post jobs. Lean on family and friends for help finding a job. It's part of networking. I cannot emphasize enough that this is SO important.

Resume: one page long with everything pertinent "above the thumb" = hold a piece of paper in one hand. Notice where your thumb is. NOBODY in HR will read below their thumb! NO DATES especially if you're OLD like me! Awards, cost savings, etc. are acceptable. Get letters of formal letter of recommendation to send with your mailed resumes and to have with you when you have an interviews.

Interviews: take a clean notebook with you so you can fill out a job application fully. Keep that information out of sight so that someone can't see it and snipe you. Have old companies names, address, supervisor, dates of employment, etc. BUT nothing over five or ten years old and NOTHING over ten years old = over qualified. Have any and all schooling but NOT graduation dates (like 1966 from high school!) = age discrimination (which can't be proved!). Have a list of three to five references that you can depend on to replay to any queries and who will give you a good recommendation.

Be ready to be low balled on salary. Ask if it's negotiable if you feel you can but be careful not to make a point of contention if you feel you can handle the lower wage for a while and then possibly negotiate a higher wage after being there a while.

Be prepared to be turned down. It is depressing. I had to take two weeks off from looking I got so depressed. After the two weeks at home (fixing things and being creative = positive things happening) I was re-energized to go looking for a job again. I got laid off in February and didn't find another decent job till November of that year and I was one of the few who stayed in my area that did find a decent paying job.

79camaro2001

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 4, 2003
Monroeville, PA
Lets try this,

This is a 30 second commercial deal, say you are talking at a party or in a public network and usually the most common question that is asked is what's your name and what do you do, this will prepare you for that question,

30-second-commercial.jpg

This is a 60 second commercial format, this is what you would say in a interview when they ask you, tell me about yourself!

60-second-commercial.jpg

if anyone have a better way of scanning documents let me know so I can get the full version scanned and it will be easier to read. I got some stuff that will help deal with families and spouse stress during job lost. Figured it might help others but for me I only have to deal with the phone calls of, "Did you get a job yet??" LOL

Also get a professional email name, Do not use [email protected]

best bet is to get one with your name and some odds number if your name is taken. Also get something at hotmail.com or gmail.com not something from friskylover.com or bangcock.com

it just won't look good on your resume no matter how funny it is.

I moved all of this from the other thread.

Rickdef17

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2006
Plymouth MI

79camaro2001

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 4, 2003
Monroeville, PA
Also if you got a college education, check with your college as mine offers a job listing for Alumni. I found a few job openings today through that. Plus with those listing, I got a lot of results while in college.

jdove

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2002
Chattanooga,TN
Mark80Z28 said:
Careerbuilder sucks! Half of their listings these days are spam. "Investment required" type junk.

Thanks for the contribution Mark....I've got a few leads working through them right NOW..

The latest one pays 100K-150K + bonuses...The other one is at 60K +...

Damon23

Veteran Member
Jan 29, 2006
Georgia
What can one expect without a college education? I've been in one field for the last 16 years. When I go somewhere it shows I stay for a long time, I've only really worked for two companies in 16 years.

Latest posts