Ford 9 inch

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I don't know much about
Looking to upgrade to a Ford 9 inch as I don't think my 10 bolt will live long behind a 580hp sbc during a Transbrake launch

Looking at either Quick performance or Currie Enterprises

https://www.quickperformance.com/GM-F-body-1970-1981-Camaro-Complete-9-Rear-End-Package_p_21574.html

https://www.currieenterprises.com/67-81-camaro-firebird-rearends
I don't know much about 9" diffs, but I went through the Quick Performance site with the drop down boxes for options and ordering, and I was very impressed. Great prices too, as long as you live in the States, and you have that part covered. For the cost of building your 10 bolt, you spend a bit more for a really good, new 9", powdercoated and bolt into your car. Hard to pass that up.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Might I suggest giving GearFx as call...Highly recommended. Currie is good too. In my opinion when it comes to these set-ups, the money is going to be in the 3rd member. They are not all created equal....You will want a strong case. I have a Moser 3rd member that's a nodular iron case, the gear is US gear, daytona pinion support, 1350 yoke and the differential is a Eaton all assembled with Timken bearings. Some one these off brand are missing alot of these upgrades and you end up with nothing more than a 9" which being a 9" alone doesnt make it a superior rear. I would also say look into REM polishing or even better the US Gear Stealth series with isotropic (REM) finish.

camaro71/holland

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2003
The Netherlands
580hp is nothing to worry about in a correctly built 8.5", even with a TB.

Price wise it's always up to the buyer to decide whether the difference is worth the money (both ways) just don't forget possible additional expenses for brakes and hardware.

And due to the design, a 9" will rob more ponies from that SBC leaving less to do the work if that's a consideration for you as well.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
580hp is nothing to worry about in a correctly built 8.5", even with a TB.

Price wise it's always up to the buyer to decide whether the difference is worth the money (both ways) just don't forget possible additional expenses for brakes and hardware.

And due to the design, a 9" will rob more ponies from that SBC leaving less to do the work if that's a consideration for you as well.

True, but the money you invest into a 8.5 to make it bullet proof can buy you a new 9" rear-end. I have heard that a 9" does eat more HP than a 10 bolt, but the dyno or my butt doesnt show it.

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
The reason I want to go with a Ford 9" is ....

Easier to change gears

No C clips

Better design outer axle retention/ seals

Cheaper to build than a GM 8.5

The custom built Ford 9" I'm looking at will have stronger axles possibly 35 spline and running a Billet Full spool

The GM 8.5 I've got now only has a Eaton Posi with upgraded 800ft lbs preload red stripe springs

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
NY
Just be aware that some rears with 35 splines have a bigger snout , so if you already have rims that fit they probably will not fit without mods on a 35 spline , if you go with drive plates , on a full floater rear,

Latest posts