Ford has a couple kinks to work out I think

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BLUE72CAMARO, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Explosion looks mostly steam to me. "They" say it's a magnesium core support, but I can't think of any reason for the metal to explode like that...

Today's little bit of irony-
    [​IMG]
    Aren't these water tanks?:confused:

2. Paint Fumes

Paint Fumes Veteran Member

This is probably why we weren't allowed to use aluminum in the interior panels on our modified. I don't recall if it was a track rule or NASCAR on ours. I did see a Pro Four modified with aluminum panels(non NASCAR) melt before my eyes one night. It happened scary fast.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ahhhhh......that would explain a bit of the situation.

Kinda shocked they would use magnesium on a pickup......stuffs expensive from what I recall.
    Dangerous too once it actually ignites.......can't put it out

4. Paint Fumes

Paint Fumes Veteran Member

Silverados have had a big chunk of it behind the dash since 1999. A lot of NP transfer cases are made of it too. It turns to play dough when the truck gets in a salt water flood. I bought a few Hurricane Sandy victims for parts and the cases were obliterated.

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There's still no reason for it to explode, though. That just looks like a sudden release of water/steam to me. See here-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kVh4NQ7geg

It's the water that makes it nuts. Bits of water on a fire that hot are going to look impressive.

6. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used to own a hummer h1 that burned. It caught fire while driving down the interstate and by the time I pulled over the fiberglass hood caught and the whole thing burst into flames.

Pretty scary situation. They can go up very fast.

Rich

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't steal the GM crowds thunder now!!! :crazy:

Someone might threaten to quit.

True.

I was thinking more along the lines of when Magnesium ignites, it's not something you can put out. I recall in the Navy they told us on the carriers, the jets landing gear was all magnesium and if it ignited from a poor landing scraping, the jet got rolled off the carrier because the magnesium couldn't be put out once ignited.

Obviously I'm not a fire marshall but that's what I recall.

8. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

I saw the aftermath of a vette with mag rims that had a brake drag and it got hot enough to ignite the rim, there wasn't much left of the vette, though it wasn't as bad as that ford truck.

9. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

You guys are flipping out about something that can happen (and more than you might think) when you're torture-testing a vehicle. I live at the edge of the High Desert in Southern California, about 80 miles east of L.A. The main artery between L.A. and Vegas is I-15. We see Ford, GM, and Dodge trucks on the I-15 Freeway pulling the Baker Grade in the middle of summer when the ambient temperature is over 110 degrees. I can't even begin to imagine what the blacktop temperature is, but I'll bet it's well above 140 degrees. The Baker Grade is a 19 mile long climb at a 7% grade increase that goes from 1000ft of altitude to 4100ft. In the middle of the summer, that stretch is littered with broken down cars. That's why the desert area (notably Death Valley) is a popular place for the manufacturers to do their Hot Weather torture testing.

I have passed heavily camoflaged American trucks with Michigan plates pulling trailers with weight boxes up the Baker Grade, and I'll tell you first hand, those trucks were getting ABUSED. Part of their test criteria is to put the vehicle through every possible scenario of speed, weight, and transmission gear selection. I passed a camo'd Chevy one time when the Duramax was being developed and I could almost swear that the guy had it pinned in first gear. The truck had an instrumentation stack on the dash that was about 12" by 12" that was loaded with digital readouts. They were checking every possible parameter.

In this day of everyone having a camera, Ford was unlucky that someone caught the carnage on film. Usually, they go to areas where no sane person would ever travel at times of the year when people stay away. My guess is that they were in Death Valley. People tend to forget that every manufacturer tortures their products during testing until they fail in order to make them better.

One of my bosses used to work for GM back in the '80s as an Engineer in the Durability Lab. He's got some great stories about how hard they abused stuff.

10. 1BAD78

1BAD78 Veteran Member Gold Member

That looks to be an F250, which I believe are not goig to be made of aluminum.
    We all know that every manufacturer has had some of their vehicles burn to the ground.