Found a 6.0 on craigslist. QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by JWZ28, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I have been steadily saving to put EFI on my 355, but I just found a 6.0 w/ trans, computer, manifolds, and pulleys for $900 out of a 2002 truck.

Now for the big questions.

Would this be the correct engine and trans to go LS in my 78? I know I'd have to mod the tunnel and get the computer tuned and a harness for my car.

What else am I looking at as far as mods?

Would this be a better way to go than putting EFI on my 355?

Thanks for any input

2. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not aware that you have to do anything to the trans tunnel. I have a 4l80 in my car and its set back from stock location, and required minimal hammer work. Either some work on, or a new cross member is needed. You may want to investigate whether the truck intake will fit under hood.

Its a way way better investment than putting efi on a traditional sbc, imo.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

$900? I'll take it lol

4. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Unfortunately it's sold already... Thanks anyway for the info. Seems like everyone else in my area wants 3000+ for just the LS engine...

5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How many miles were on it for $900?

6. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Same exactly problem I'm having, everybody wants an arm and a,leg just for the engine. But you wouldn't have to modify your tunnel for an automatic just a T-56.

7. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Well yeah! I wouldnt take less than $6K for my LS1. Modern engines are expensive. You do get what you pay for. I bought mine brand new, glad I did too.

8. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Me too. I bought my LS3 new, so I don't have to worry about the upkeep on the engine before it was mine. I now know it gets dogged out all the time, well, because I did it ! LOL. 6250 to my door is a pretty good price for an engine that will make 480+HP with a set of dyno headers and no accessories ( the same way any crate engine is rated ) Don't pay any attention to the RATED HP on a new GM crate engine that was a model they installed in a production car. They are rated with all the accessories like AC, PS, Smog pump and with the factory induction, restrictive factory exhaust with cats.
    Got a little off topic. Sorry about that OP. Keep looking and you will finds a deal. They are out there. Just before the next one shows up, don't waste time coming on here and asking if its the right one. Take an afternoon to learn whats what in the LS series and have the funds in your pocket because it wont last long! Good Luck!

9. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

A lot of people (around here anyway) talk like you can just go grab one on the cheap from a salvage yard, do a cam and intake swap, and have a heck of a machine. That's why I figured I'd ask, cause I'm a total newb as far as modern engines go (I'm no guru with old engines really, but theyre simple).

The more I look it seems like even if you do find a cheaper combo, the nickle and dime stuff to get it fitted and running properly will add up.

It may be a steep purchase, but I can at least afford to save a little for a plug an play set up like the Atomic EFI.

10. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

complete average mileage 5.3 motors out of trucks are about $600 around here....I'll betcha there are at least 10 just like that within 100 miles of me

a buddy of mine called me the other day - has a 01 5.3, 130k miles, can hear run, still in the truck..for $400 complete, and do I want it...um...no, but thanks