Found the 12's! 12.24@111.38!

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by flak monkey, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great run. Congrats.

2. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

111mph should get you into the 11s. Sticky tires and you'll be there.your 60' is good are you having to pedal it?

3. flak monkey

flak monkey Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks.

I can get hold of higher octane fuel in the UK.

Have to pedal it a bit. Here's a screen shot of the log. Yellow line in the top chart is throttle position, red line in bottom chart is speed, so you can see when I launched it

[​IMG]

4. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Are the 317s unported? They seem to be a cork at about 480 FWHP in most of the dyno graphs Ive seen. Opening them up will go a long ways toward letting that cam do its thing. The factory intake is the next limiter after the stock head ports. Depending on the converter in that 4L80, I would either do a dual plane or single plane carb style intake, or a Fast plastic fantastic if you can stomach paying a grand for a chunk of plastic ! They are great intakes, but way over priced, IMO. I just ported a set of 317s for my turbo setup I'm putting together. Its pretty straight forward to free up several CFMs of flow.

5. flak monkey

The 317s are ported and milled .050.

Converter is FTI 4000rpm hard hit SRLT

Intake is a TSP sheet metal one, short runners, like a single plane intake. Which is what my can grind is suited to.

I'll probably swap that intake for a Victor Jr and 4150 throttle body, get proper cold air with my scoop. I can't be spending $1000+ on a FAST

6. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

sounds / looks good

7. newschool72

What does your car weigh? I agree that 111mph is off a few MPH from what you should be at. Just as an example, my NA setup I just pulled apart to start the turbo thing was an LS3 long block, stock 10.7 comp, unported LS3 heads, GMPP dual plane intake, and tiny Bullet 220-230 at .050 cam. With a 2800 rpm stall and 3.42 gears, it ran 11.60s at 118-119 MPH with a spinning 1.9 60 ft. Unless your in really bad air or your car weighs 4000lbs+, you should have a lot more potential in your combo. Keep plugging away at it. There is something holding you back and when you figure it out, you will be amazed as to what that bullet is capable of.:cool:

8. flak monkey

I'd guess it's about 3600lbs.

I'm going to play with the fuelling a bit and then check the cam timing. I might also play with the location of my air intake.

I would think it should be running in the 115-118mph range.

CamMotion are grinding another cam up for me as well...

9. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Congrats! You have been doing the tuning. I'm enjoying watching.

10. newschool72

Do you have a pic of your air intake system ? LS engines are very greedy about air in AND exhaust out. Just as an example, on my first trip to the track with the LS3 a couple years ago, I was running a spectra low profile bonnet on my TB (Fast EZ EFI throttle body) and the engine would start tightening up at about 4800-5000 rpms, and quit pulling all together at about 5500 ! The car wouldn't go quicker than 12.40s at 109. I changed out the bonnet for a homemade aluminum pan that sealed off to the cowl hood and ran 11.76 at 117mph next time out. The bonnet would only move 625cfms of air and was acting like a restrictor plate for the engine. IMO, there has to be something like that going on with your combo. I think you should be in the 118 mph range, so something is stealing 70-80 HP from you . Keep looking, you will find it.