Frame Connector Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 78formuler, Jun 16, 2021.

1. 78formuler

78formuler New Member

Whats everyone running for subframe connectors? I really like the design of the hotchkis but they are out of stock until August. Any input would be appreciated. Car is 78 formula with mild sbc 350.

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

real question is
    are you ok with welding? because you get much better connectors if you weld them.

I will be using chassiworks subframe connectors due to me having a torque arm suspension
    [​IMG]

A lot of people like the global west subframe connectors, and it's what I was personally going to buy if I stuck with leaf springs

3. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

Custom Works a vendor on here has them.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I use Chassis Engineering on my 1979 Z-258

5. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used Pro Touring F body , great fit, great price

6. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Veteran Member

Global West and Custom works are both good from what I hear, and I think PTFB makes a good set.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you can weld, the DSE are the best ones out there. I’m a fan of Global West and Alston.

Tim Ward likes this.
  8. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

I tried the subframe connectors from Heitz . They were a bolt on and not welded. I did skid pad and slalom testing and did not notice any performance improvements. I did not like the looks as they hung below the car from the forward leaf spring perch to the existing subframe. They also scraped on some driveways and some speedbumps. Upon closer inspection, the attachment points of the Heitz subframe connector absorb all of the torsion stress at each end of the subframe connector which is separated by the full length of the subframe connector. Not good! I like the theory behind the Detroit Speed subframe connector because it is welded along the full length of the connector to the body distributing a uniform load along the full length of the subframe connector. Much stronger. Also it is less noticeable because it is mounted higher into the body. The downside of the Detroit Speed subframe connector is you have to cut up the body to install it. I autox with the Heitz subframe connector for about two years, and then removed it. Each connector weighed 10 lbs for a total of 20 lbs.

9. Tim Ward

Tim Ward New Member

DSE for me, I've had them for 15+ years and it one of the best things I've done to the car. Yes you do have to cut the floor pan and I had my reservations but sure glad I went ahead and did it. I Highly recommend them. Now the fact that it's a convertible I think weld in is the only option to eliminate as much flex as possible. You can jack one corner and lift the entire side with VERY little flex. Since these were installed many vendors have released connectors but I still think they rank very high on the list.

10. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went with tube type Alstom. Welded in.