Fresh 454 I might buy, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by sinnyz_me, Aug 19, 2017.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Thanks for the Info. I have owned several 454 vehicles. None were Truck blocks all were Passenger. It is the big trucks and the others that are the tall deck type. Those engines could be built but the pistons are the problem. All the bottom ends are basically the same. a buddy of mine had a tall deck 454, he had spacers made to run an aftermarket intake. It is possible to make a true truck block run like hell but it costs more.

2. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 454 never available in a tall deck platform. That was a 366/427 thing. The tall deck 427 blocks are quite desirable, plenty of room for big arm stroker cranks, long rods and short compression height pistons and shares the common 454 bore size. In stock form the tall deck 427s weren't intended to rev, just lug tonnage around. They had an insanely tall piston in them with an extra ring pack.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Humm...Peanunt Heads are bad?, I just put a PP headed 461 in my Camaro, 8.5 comp with a Air Gap along with CC 282S cam. I will top it off with a host of carbs, I am betting it will be in the high 11's. $1500 is a good deal IMO for that engine, pull the pan along with looking under the valve covers to see what's in there. The PP heads will make a ton of tq. and less HP of course. I have a NHRA guy who built a PP head 9.1 454 Bigger valves with some port clean up, the motor dynoed 527hp with a Hyd. roller cam and a 2 plane RPM intake.

sinnyz_me and fatkid_racing like this.
  4. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like I'm not the only one who isn't afraid of running peanut ports. Keep us posted on your results!

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I just read up on that, I was wrong about the 454 being a tall deck. The guy that had the tall deck block in his truck said it was a 454. Maybe he had it bored. I did help him with putting an aftermarket intake on and used spacers on the intake. That was back in 1989. so it has been awhile. Thanks again for info.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I will keep you guys posted when I go to the track. Ya, I thought the same things about PP heads until I read that a guy on line who calls himself Vortecpro ran his Chevelle in the high 10's with a set in Denver alt. 6600ft, granted they were ported a lot more than what I have but even Super Chevy tested them bone stock they made 515hp, so I bought a set for $25 did a little work and I will see what happens.

7. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 1969 396 that came out of a Caprice had peanut port heads and 2 barrel carb.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

9. sinnyz_me

sinnyz_me Veteran Member

I thought the price seemed fair for what it was and the guy that built the motor does build them professionally. I believe he works out of his garage and has built quite a few motors. He was also trying to sell me on a 406 with 6" scat I beam rods with cap screw bolts and wiseco forged flat top pistons and world product heads. What size carb would you run on a 454? Also, long tube headers or shortys? I stepped away from the 454 after everyone made it not sound so desirable but now I'm thinking it could be a viable motor for my car.

10. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

It's totally viable! I'm wrapping up my RV motor install and honestly it's been pretty easy. I found a set of Hooker Super Comp long tubes on craigslist for $75 that actually fit pretty well. Had to move/wrap the fuel lines and stuff, flatten one tube just a little, and trim the driver's side motor mount. Otherwise they fit like a glove.

I'm using the truck/RV engine-side clamshells and stock 80 Camaro frame-side mounts. The deep truck/RV oil pan fits without issue, however I'll need a pretty short air hat to clear the hood. Also the original fan clears the hood by about a 1/4"... so electric fans will be next.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a PP 454. It's torquey and fun. I guess its only real downside is the weight, but that's why they make big block springs.

fatkid_racing likes this.