Front Driver side blinker/Hazard not blinking

1970camaronut

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2010
I have isolated the problem as noted above with headlights on or off. Parking light works but not the blinker. Bulb is OK- verified by test light. I don't think I am getting power to the front driver side parking light socket when I turn left blinker on and have test light connected to a ground. Test light does not light.

Would this indicate a flasher problem? Thanks

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Parking light uses different filament inside the bulb from signal light. Did you check both filaments?
Flasher failure will usually affect both sides of the signal system, and both rear and front lights. One lamp failing to blink is usually bulb, socket, or wiring to the failed corner.

1970camaronut

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2010
OK, Then its not the flasher. Bulb tested OK as well.

I noticed an orange wire loose from the bulk connector under the dash. I guess the medal end is still in there and the wire shook loose from the radio install. could that be the problem?

FlaJunkie

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 24, 2001
Rockledge, Florida
You probably have a break in the line between the firewall/bulkhead connector and the light assembly.

I would carefully trace back from the light assembly and see if it is under the hood. I would use a "pointed" test lamp to see where power is at. It really depends on the age of your wiring and how much you want to fix it.

After you do that, I would disconnect the connection inside at the steering column and test from that point to see if it is the turn signal switch. I think it is this connector:

Z28_16_Jun_2011_83.jpg

1970camaronut

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2010
Thanks. The picture I posted has power from the orange wire. Since it is disconnected would it make sense that that is the problem?

FlaJunkie

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 24, 2001
Rockledge, Florida
1970camaronut said:
Thanks. The picture I posted has power from the orange wire. Since it is disconnected would it make sense that that is the problem?
Not to me. That color inside the car seems to follow the inside courtesy lighting.

However, you could always test light it and see if it follows the turn signal.

TDPalmer

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 25, 2011
Cave City, Arkansas
I know you said that you verified that the problem bulb is okay with a test light, but have you switched the driver's side bulb with the passenger side that you know that works? On my car the bulb doesn't blink if I have the filaments upside down., but most of the time it won't let you put the bulb in the wrong way, I kinda forced mine in not thinking.

I agree with that orange wire being courtesy lighting.

Last edited:

Latest posts