Front License Plates

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Dec 28, 2019.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Being back home (NY) I was driving around this morning and had a thought......how many states require a front license plate? As I looked, I was surprised. New York, Mass, Ct, Virginia, Vermont, NJ is what I saw. What other states require the front plate? And what purpose do they actually serve? I had a friend who was a state trooper and he said they really don't serve a purpose.

2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

well... ohio did, then they passed a law (they used that plate offer to get a 20c gas tax) saying we will get rid of front plates. Plates to go in effect July 2020. Well, as soon as the bill was passed and ohio got their 20c gas tax. They decided to start writing bills to nullify the removal of front plates. its to be determined. --- kicker. The gas tax isn't being nullified.

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The last cop that pulled me over for no front plate informed me that they use it as a reflective surface to bounce their radar guns off of to catch speeders..... And since I had no front plate, he couldn't tell if I was speeding or not.

I informed the officer that I was driving a 94 Plymouth Colt with the earth shattering 1.5 liter engine and there was no way I could possibly exceed the speed limit...... needless to say he wasn't amused.

GoldenOne7710 and chevyJeff1 like this.
  4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

5. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

The police use this technology (looking for stolen cars) by taking pictures of passing vehicles with a high-speed camera..... What the hell is all that about? Just take a picture of the rear plate as they pass by.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Washington State does

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

MN. does unless it's a Collector plate.

8. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

For real??

I’ve never heard that one. Here in Virginia cops love to hide and shoot radar at approaching vehicles. They hide everywhere, under bridges in the shadows, behind telephone poles and bushes etc.

9. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

That’s BS, a cops radar gun uses the same type of technology as a surveyors instrument. I can bounce a signal off of a brick, power line, vinyl siding, and even a headlight.

riderwestslope likes this.
  10. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

The best one I saw was in Baraboo Wi,the officer was out of his cruiser squatted in the bushes on a corner peeking thru the branches [in a crouch] real barney fife with the radar gun,guy was passing me not by much and I was doing the speed limit[25mph] officer ran to the cruiser blew and up along side me and pinched the guy who had crept only 1 car or so ahead of me on my left--YIKES!!! I think of the abuse the cruisers get and I hear that fleet maintained,best of parts blah blah blah when someone buys one and tells me the positives--LOL Later Steve!!