Front lowering springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by JAMMINJ007, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

Ok so I put lowering springs on my car and for some reason the driver's side sits about 1/2 higher. Is this correct? I am sure I have them clocked to the proper postion. Can someone shed light on this. Thanks

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Even on modern cars for example my 03 Mercury Marauder and my 04 Taurus, if you measure them at all 4 corners you will find half inch discrepancies side to side. If you measure any newer cars in the parking lot you will find the same. 1/2" off side to side is well within acceptable tolerance for a car, especially an old car. My 76 firebird with hotchkis springs had a half inch discrepancy as well. I was very pleased with that little error on an old car that has hit who knows how many things and was welded together who knows how well back in the day.

3. BayAreaCamaro

BayAreaCamaro Member

I have 2" drop Eibach springs in the front and the driver's side sits about 1/2" lower than the passenger side. Like you, I'm certain I positioned the springs correctly when I installed them in 2003. It's annoying to me because I know it's there but nobody else has ever commented about it. I just learn to live with it. Car handles and rides the same on both sides.

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Try to get someone on here with a 2010 camaro to measure at the center of all 4 wheel arches and report back. I would be surprised if it were any closer tolerance. Challenge!!

5. Tia813

Tia813 Veteran Member

Mine is the same way. If one side was tucked in the wheel well and the other had a .5" wheel gap then I'd be concerned.

6. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

springs

Well that is the way mine sits. Top of the passenger fender is almost even with the top of the tire. Thats why I was concerned. It did come down more once I put Hotchkis rear leafs on (if that makes any sense). What I really need to do is put stiffer shocks on comp engineeering drag shocks probably are not the best choice. It rubs the inner fender when someone sits on the passenger side and I go over bumps.

7. Type73LT

Type73LT Veteran Member

What size tire and wheels are you using? Sounds to be too wide in the front then.

8. Z28 Mark

Z28 Mark Veteran Member

I just put QA1 coil overs on my 73 and they were about 5/8" to 3/4" different in height between sides. I had to adjust the drives side up and I now have it with in 3/16" from side to side. I can now get a small floor jack under the main front cross member!;)