Front rotors seem out of round

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by dcozzi, Jun 27, 2021.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

They are new from Wilwood but they rub like they are bent on the brake pad when you spin the tire. Everything on the front spindle is new except the bearing races. The spindle was in good shape when I put it together.
    So, now that I am going to take it all apart again, is there anything I should look for? I bought a dial indicator and another set of rotors from Summit because I have seen stories of them being off from the manufacturer before. I will check the rotor and hub then, if they both wobble, I guess it is the race or seat.

Any similar experiences and suggestions are appreciated.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

I don't know if this is exactly what you're running into Dave, but years ago I put a set of cheapo rotors on my S-10. First time through the traps at ~ 120 MPH I thought it was going to rattle the thing apart. Went to the local AP store and told the old guy and he suggested a different (better) set of rotors, BUT he said get them checked for run-out. Even brand new, they need trued up. He took me in the back to the brake lathe and I couldn't believe how much run-out there was, and they were brand new out of the box. Maybe get the rotors checked?

Dave Nelson and Zstar like this.
  3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I thought about that too but the idea of truing brand new rotors would not register properly in my head.o_O
    I will do this if the dial indicator shows the hub as true.
    It would be great if this is all I have to do.
    Crappy thing is I have to take it apart again.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The indicator will tale the tale!! numbers don't lie!!! Said every Toolmaker I have ever worked with!

dcozzi likes this.
  5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

My buddy owns a Big O Tire out in Fountain Hills. This happens all the time there. So much so that they now just do a cleanup cut on all new rotors they install to avoid returns due to vibration.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My Raybestos 5214R rotors out of the box were perfect on my 70.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I wish Wilwood had the same QC in their manufacturing process. For the price, I would pay another $20+ to have it true out of the box.

8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

He needs to buy a better grade of rotors. When I was working the tire shops we had to do the same, now I'm working where quality is king they work just fine out of the box.

dale68z likes this.
  9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Well, I was not far off. The hubs were dead nuts straight but the rotors were not. Thanks Wilwood. It looks like there are spots where they took out metal to balance them but, why not have them true as well? Who knows.

I bought a dial caliper. The face has 50 marks. Twice around registers the center dial as .1".
    The rotor was moving the dial 7 spaces. Does this mean it is .007" off?
    Maybe the pad is just touching and making enough contact to make noise. It does slow the wheel a bit though when you spin it.

10. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

I would be disappointed but I'll bet they will be fine once they are turned/resurfaced. I used to run into this fairly often in the 1980's and turned quite a few new rotors back then. I haven't had to do it all in the last 20 years. It's been so long I can't even remember the correct terminology. I think around here we used to say we want our rotors turned; sounds weird now.