Front Springs?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by HurtHorseZ28, Jul 17, 2018.

1. HurtHorseZ28

HurtHorseZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 79Z28, A/C is removed.

I am getting into the front suspension and am looking for stock height. Wasn't planning on doing springs, but they'll be out anyway, so . . .

Opinion on these springs?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=439769&cc=1035212&jsn=439

Basically, I was looking around and Amazon had them for $27 bucks shipped. Both Rock and Amazon say they'll fit my car, I am just wondering what kind of ride height I am looking at. My springs seem fine now, but I haven't driven the car in 19 years and it's sat outside, under a carport, and in a garage since I've had it, so I figured why not.

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know those springs, but in general, if you buy the cheapest thing, you'll get the cheapest thing.

3. HurtHorseZ28

HurtHorseZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know what you mean. Everywhere else has them priced in the $70 range. It was one of those "One left in stock" things.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your on the right track in replacing springs while everything is out, you'll really be surprised how much the originals have sagged. Normally you would think AC Delco is a top line brand, but in order to stay competitive, they also have a value priced line of products and I don't know which is which. I replaced my sagging originals with Moog 5610 and it brought the front end back up close to the original height. I've since gone the lowering route and bought springs and other components from Kieth at Custom Works.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

compare the numbers to the moog parts. spring rate, free hieght.

6. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

with a little math it tells me those are Trans Am springs you could cut them down to us in a sb Camaro, but it would be trial and error, as far as quality, most US made springs are manufactured by one or two companies, being that cheap they may be sourced from India or China but just speculation.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^^ Don’t cut coil springs for anything but ride height.

I would also reccomend paying a little more for quality springs.

8. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

what else would you cut springs for but alter ride height?
    Cutting coils also marginally affects their rate, depending on the wire diameter and over all length of the wire that the coil is made of.