Front Sway Bar Bushings for a 71

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CCorne1, Apr 6, 2007.

1. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Having a heck of a time locating bushings for my from sway bar. They're all either too tall (the bushings too tall for the bracket) or too small in diameter. Measured my bar and it's 1 1/4". The parts guy is telling me they didn't come stock with that size bar... Do I have a non-original sway bar on my 71??

<<EDIT>>
    What was originally a squeek hunt, turned into a bushing hunt for the front, has now ended up a question for the rear.... See posts #14 and #15. What kind of rear sway bar is my 71 sporting, and what length end link sleeves should I be considering? OR, should I scrap the rear sway bar all together?

No leads on the mysterious squeeking - yet... ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  2. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Damn. Noticed that the 76-81 had 1 1/4" bars, but those bushings were too tall. Classic lists a 1 1/4" bar/bushing set for 70-81, but all I need are the bushings... But probably better that I go to stock. Or maybe get aftermarket bushings. Any recommendation??

4. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Order a set from Jegs. They come black or red and have new brackets. There cheap to less than $15.00.

5. rhead007

rhead007 Veteran Member

i got some yellow polys ill sell ya im not using there brand new energy susp in the box email if intrested

6. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Just sent you an email rhead007

7. MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon Member

You have a Trans Am front bar - they are all 1.25". Just get bushings for a Trans Am.

8. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up Maltese. I'll look into that. Actually came across a local parts store (apparently the only one in town) that had 1.25" Energy Suspension bushings on stock. Gonna try those out first.

So what's the difference in handling/performance between the larger and smaller diameter sway bars? Should I consider going to a smaller bar, or is there very little difference for a driver vehicle?

9. MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon Member

Sway bars reduce roll, and are also useful as tuning devices. Front sway bars can increase understeer, but because they also reduce roll (giving the front tires more traction) the effect can be neutral.

Generally, bigger is better in a front sway bar; if you find that you have too much understeer, you can balance it out with a larger rear bar.

ADDCO sells rear stabilizer bars with installation hardware in 7/8" and 1" sizes. WS6 Trans Ams used the 1.25 inch front bar with 3/4" rear bars. They aren't too hard to find.

By the way, Ames Performance Engineering sells OEM type 1.25" front stabilizer bar bushings, part No. FS415, for $7.50 each.

10. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

FYI - if you're having problems, you want to look for 35mm bushings....

That's the 1.25" equivelant....

Anyways, yes. The WS-6 optioned Trans Ams from 79-81 had the large bar and getting bushings for them are easy. Sorry you had a problem with this stuff. You should be using the new busnings and the new shells that come with them so they fit.

Just be careful with the bolts. They have a tendency to strip out.