Front Sway Bar Bushings for a 71

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CCorne1, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon Member

That statement is true, but the implication that other Trans Ams had a smaller bar is not. Also, WS6 was available starting in 1978, not 1979, although it didn't include rear disks, and it wasn't available on the Formula that year.

Its a common misconception that the 1.25" front stabilizer bar is part of the WS6 package, but its not. In fact, ALL second gen Trans Ams from 1970 to 1981, and ALL Formulas from 1978-1981 have a 1.25" front stabilizer bar. Earlier Formulas (1970-1977) could be ordered with the Trans Am suspension, and those also got the 1.25" front stabilizer bar.

WS6 Trans Ams and Formulas from 1978 to 1981 got a 3/4" REAR sway bar, instead of the normal 5/8 rear bar.

2. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Found a set of Energy Suspension bushings and end links for less than $30 locally. Got them in and good to go (thanks for the warning about the boots rscamaro73 - I came VERY close....).

In the rear it looks like I've got a 3/4" bar and the bushings look bad. As a matter of fact, the whole install looks a little shoddy... It's not stock, I'll see if I can't get a pic of it later. The whole thing that got me looking at the bushings was this crazy squeeking I've got going on when I drive - mainly over bumps. Recently installed new ball joints, and all the linkages from tie-rod end to tie-rod end, AND new upper control arm bushings.. Still had a squeek so I did the front sway bar bushings, but the embarassing squeek is still there. Can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but seeing the rubber on the reat sway bar I'm thinking that could be it too.

Wondering now if I even need a rear sway bar since the install looks poorly done..would need new brackets, and not even sure what style bar I have as it curves under the pumpkin instead of running straight across..

Have stock/original springs, with 245/45/17's on the front, and 275/40/17's on the rear. 1.25" sway bar on front, and currently the .75" bar in the rear.

Thoughts??

3. MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon Member

Poly bushings are notorious for squeeking. You can grease them, but it only lasts so long.

A 3/4" rear should work well with that 1.25" front bar, though. Again, ADDCO makes install kits for rear if your car didn't originally come with one and you don't like the looks of the install.

4. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

The squeeking was happening LONG before I swapped out the bushings. The originals were in poor shape, and tracking down that squeek is what lead me to swapping out the bushings.

Here are the pics of the rear sway bar and install. I'll take a look at the ADDCO install kits. It just looks like they used the wrong sized bushings (because one wasn't even in the bracket when I first looked back there a couple of years ago) and the end links don't look quite right, LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Maybe it's just the condition of the bushings and end links that are leaving me with a sour taste... Could I just get some 3/4" Energy Suspension bushings and End Links and call it good? What size/length End Links would I need?

Threw out Energy Suspension only because that's what I used on the front....

Thanks everyone for the help and advice!

6. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Bump