Fuel filter 1972 402

kbreckon44

Feb 20, 2022
Trying to identify if there was a second fuel filter on a 1972 396 (402). The factory service manual only notes the small paper filter in the carburetor. I've installed a new fuel pump but the line to the carb isn't drawing any gas.

kbreckon44

Feb 20, 2022
Make sure you got fuel. Disconnect your fuel line directly to the carb and crank it with a catch bottle. No juice?
Thanks, did that earlier and no fuel is coming through. I have spark and just trying see if there's a blockage before the pump or a bad filter. I changed the carb filter but it's dry.

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
By pass with a 2 gal tank to run it to move. Time to check the fuel pump and follow the line to the tank. The rubber hose to the tank could have just given out.

kbreckon44

Feb 20, 2022
By pass with a 2 gal tank to run it to move. Time to check the fuel pump and follow the line to the tank. The rubber hose to the tank could have just given out.
Thanks, just checked the rear lines by the tank and they are beyond old. Thankfully it quit at my house.

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
Thanks, just checked the rear lines by the tank and they are beyond old. Thankfully it quit at my house.
I had a 92 GMC VAN that quit the fuel pump in the tank. So much fun when kicking the SHish out of the tank and no go. I just filled to the brim too. Got it home to deal with nothing of volume to spill the juice. Fixed it and the starter went the next day. I still have it. Bish runs good. Also had to replace a pick up coil in the dizzy. Ohm......

hd_cat

Veteran Member
Sep 6, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Yep, rotinrob beat me to it, the sock could be causing the trouble. I saw one TV episode that they had the fuel lines reversed on the pump, impossible to do with stock steel lines, but something to consider with a pump that uses two hose clamps instead of a threaded fitting on the output.

kdsracing

Mar 13, 2009
Apple Valley, CA
Trying to identify if there was a second fuel filter on a 1972 396 (402). The factory service manual only notes the small paper filter in the carburetor. I've installed a new fuel pump but the line to the carb isn't drawing any gas.
Have checked to make certain that there is fuel to the pump. If you disconnect the line to the pump then jack the rear of the car higher than the front, fuel should flow freely from the line. If that is good, then I would take the pump loose again to make sure that the push rod didn’t slip off of the pump arm during installation. This sounds basic, but I’ve seen it happen, especially with big blocks for some reason.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
We had a 402 ElCamino here that sat for a couple years. Wasn't drawing fuel to the pump. After checking the lines, kid kept dumping gas in the carb to make it run till the pump got primed. It was dry, that's all that was wrong. That was a couple years ago and it still starts and runs to this day.