Fuel filter 1972 402

rocket dawg

Veteran Member
May 5, 2015
Grand Rapids Mi
The OEM rubber lines and ethanol gas hate each other. It's time to replace them if they are suspect or not. High chance they are swelled shut. The tank will have to be dropped to get at some of them. It really isnt that big of a job if the tank is almost empty. Once the tank is dropped, the sock can be replaced if needed.

john Gialanella

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2008
Bloomfield N.J.
I have a 1970 SS 396 L-34 Camaro and it has the external fuel filter in front of the water pump, if their is a second filter in the Quadrajet it must be tiny. Did the 1971 and 1972 SS 396 not have the external fuel filter. The filter assembly is #5651462. My car needs several pumps of the gas to start weather in cold or hot weather.
John.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Just put some gas in a gasoline approved jug and run a line from the fuel pump into the gasoline supply. Pour a little gas into the carb bowl to fill that and prime the primary side of the carb. Start the engine that way and the pump should start to draw fuel.

snipescastle2

Jan 14, 2006
San Diego,California
Hi! Another thing to consider is, the steel lines, wether brake/fuel/vent are bad about rust. As many have said before, the old leaded gas days have long been gone, the rubber hoses of the past weren’t meant for modern day chemistry of unleaded-cleaning agents mixed within. Replaced many brake and fuel lines here in the midwest because of road salt.
Hope you find the culprit!
Ben Smith

Redrod1977

May 8, 2022
Trying to identify if there was a second fuel filter on a 1972 396 (402). The factory service manual only notes the small paper filter in the carburetor. I've installed a new fuel pump but the line to the carb isn't drawing any gas.
Did it run before? If so did you install a mechanical pump. If so double check the push rod

suds788

Dec 26, 2018
Fort Morgan, CO
I have a 1970 SS 396 L-34 Camaro and it has the external fuel filter in front of the water pump, if their is a second filter in the Quadrajet it must be tiny. Did the 1971 and 1972 SS 396 not have the external fuel filter. The filter assembly is #5651462. My car needs several pumps of the gas to start weather in cold or hot weather.
John.
the original fuel filter was a external filter on the 402 that bolted right by the water pump but it also had a small paper filter behind the inlet on the quadrajet don't know why they did that. i also agree if the engine ran before the fuel pump was changed that's where i would start. you can also ruin a new fuel pump by running it dry for any length of time.

KingofThings

Veteran Member
May 8, 2020
Went through hell with this once, turned out there was a blockage in a 90 in the steel supply line to the carb. The more bends the more likely for this to occur, probably on either side of the pump, by catching whatever may be picked up from the tank and depositing it in a bend constantly. Take it off and run an undone hanger through, if you find anything flush it out well and scour with the hanger in various positions.

john Gialanella

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2008
Bloomfield N.J.
Thanks, maybe the second filter in the carburetor is clogged, since when I bought the SS 396 in June 2012 the canister filter assembly looked new and I have only about 7,000 miles on it since than. Maybe that is the problem of hard starts.
John.

Latest posts