Fuel Sending Unit Q?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by CCorne1, May 22, 2007.

1. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Having trouble getting my gauge to read accurate (digital gauge). Sent the gauge back to Cyberdine and they say everything checks out, so my next step is to swap out the sending unit in the tank. Haven't had a chance to drop the tank yet - want to do this all in one fail swoop hopefully Memorial Day weekend. but of course I have to order my parts ahead of time.

eBay looks like the least expensive option for a new sending unit, but the auction I'm looking at specifically states that it's for a tank with a 2 1/2" opening. None of the other, more expensive units specify opening size, so I just wanted to hop on and see if it was safe to purchase. I know I could just drop the tank and check, but I won't have time until this weekend (no easy task for me and the space/tools I have - which is why I wanted to do it all at once).

Here's the auction I'm looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/71-7...emQQcategoryZ46093QQihZ006QQitemZ160035943093

Thanks!!!

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Read this thread before buying a repop sending unit:

Keiser shares his sending unit saga.

The sending unit might fit but the function may leave you in worse shape than the one you have now.

What's wrong with your old one?

3. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip. That thread was a lot of help. I'm going to do a little more testing before buying a new sender. I've got an old Cyberdyne digital dash that I bought new nearly 14yrs ago and installed it just over a year ago and haven't been able to get the fuel gauge to read true. Sent it back to Cyberdyne and of course the gauge set was discontinued years ago, but they checked it out and said everything was fine. Before sending it back they reset it back to factory settings. I installed and am still unable to get an accurate reading. Called Cyberdyne and they said it must be the sender, and found one cheap on eBay so figured it'd be easier to just swap it out with a new one. But after reading that thread I'm seriously having second thoughts.

I think now I'm going to drop the tank this weekend and do a bench test on the sending unit in the tank now and cross my fingers that it's just a bad ground or something.

Thanks again for the info, I this site rocks!