Fuel Tank and sending unit replacement

janis80z28

Mar 8, 2006
Chardon, OH
I plan on replacing my tank, straps, and sending unit.
My question is do I need the sending unit with a return or no?
Does it matter or not?
Thanks!
1980 z28 383 stroker. automatic.

janis80z28

Mar 8, 2006
Chardon, OH
one line going in pump one line going to carb.

Attachments

• IMG_8542.JPG
    IMG_8542.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8544.JPG
    IMG_8544.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 36

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Then you shouldn't need a return line.
(I thought Z28s had a return line but I could be wrong. Mine isn't a Z28 and I don't have a return line.)

However...There should be a vapor line from the tank to the charcoal canister.

Best bet is to take a peek at the metal lines from the tank to be sure you order the same style as there are variances on fuel tanks.

78-81 tank is what you need.
The filler neck is different for previous years.

Good Luck!

81zippenz

Aug 30, 2003
Lakewood, NJ USA
My 81z has a return line and I figured that it was because it was the first year of the CCC computer system. Looking into it further it seems all 2nd gens could have the vapor and return lines. Biggest reasons for the ambiguity is California vehicles and carb choice. Holleys don’t appear to have the return line and Rochester/Carters depended on factors such as an AIR system, etc.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
Return line was to prevent vapor lock. I was under the impression all cars with heavy duty cooling came with it. But Terry you have an AC car and it doesn't have it so I don't know.

rocket dawg

Veteran Member
May 5, 2015
Grand Rapids Mi
The fuel pump may have been replaced with one that didnt have a return line. I'd get the sending unit with a return line and if it isn't needed, a plug will fix ya up. Or, run a return line up to the front from the tank and plug it there, just in case? Either way ya covered all the bases. Once ya drop the tank, you'll see if it had a return line or not. My guess is that it does or did have a return line. Edit: I just checked Rock Auto and the 1980 Z/28 came with a 3 line fuel pump. ( return line) https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4436334&cc=1035290&pt=6256&jsn=916

Last edited:

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
I'm with rocket dog, get the one with the return line and plug if not needed now. If you ever make changes to your fuel system and need the return your good.