Full charge in 10 mins.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by li0nhart123, Jul 8, 2010.

1. li0nhart123

li0nhart123 Veteran Member

looks like the electrics are coming a long way. This guy recharges his car in like 10 mins....can go 70 miles on that charge.

Total cost of 80 pence...not sure of the conversion to dollars....but I imagine it's mere pennies....gas in Canada right now is $4.50/gallon.

Just looked it up...it cost $1.27 to go 76 miles...I dare big oil to compete with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAqMzbmf3D4

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. iregret

iregret Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would rock a setup like that. Thanks for sharing the video.

3. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

Roughly, $1.21

4. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

you could recharge using a gasoline powered generator and it cost less than getting it at the pump....:)

5. li0nhart123

li0nhart123 Veteran Member

more and more people are converting to electrics nowadays..there are some awesome cars on Youtube.

This guy drives his VW bug in the snow...not sure how he gets heat with an electric motor though...but it is neat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz069B67gAo&feature=related

I put 70 bucks a week in gas into my minivan...I'm truly getting sick and tired of it.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

70 miles on a charge. That would be in nice temperatures. If I remember right, a car battery loses roughly 1/2 of its power at 0 degrees F, and it loses another 1/2 of that at -40 F. So, with no other variables, the car would be good for 17 or 18 miles on a charge in the winter.
    But, another factor comes into play in cold weather. The added stiffness of the motor and chassis increases by 2-4x, so that is the increase in power needed from the battery to move the car.
    So, final numbers for cold weather driving could be expected to be 4-9 miles between charges.

And, don't even think of having any heat in the car or you could have dead batteries in 2 miles or less.

It doesn't seem practical yet. You would have to stay very close to home or have a gasoline engine powered car to drive in the winter.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I think we're getting there. Consider that in a gas powered vehicle roughly 75% of the energy is wasted in heat, eliminate most of that with electric power. Sure need to get the price down in the cost of the vehicle though, at least in the plug ins that are proposed.

8. iregret

iregret Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gary, your figures are greatly exaggerated. I don't want to argue with you, just sayin.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Possibly so, but would someone please show me the accurate numbers then.

This story is the proverbially "endless tape" that has rerun itself for over 50 years. Every few months we have another run of the story about a different car that will "soon" be ready. They all disappear when it comes time to stop talking and start producing facts.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Too bad all the electricity has to come from somewhere and the EPA is anti-coal