Full charge in 10 mins.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by li0nhart123, Jul 8, 2010.

1. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

KC is 150+ mi away, Like I want to stop every 60-70 miles and plug in.

"Ain't goin' a happen"

Then when you add heat, or AC then the stereo, bad weather etc and that 70 mile range is 40 miles...

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gas used to be cheap as well. Supply and demand would probably drive the price of electricity up and then of course there would be a "CRISES" and history would just repeat itself. IMHO.

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Thing is that there are ways to generate your own juice with some ingenuity. Making your own gas isn't quite as easy...

4. al5570

al5570 Veteran Member

funny how people want to argue this like its a bad thing.........there are purely electric vehicles coming out real soon, AC, heat and all. is it a perfect technology yet? not at all, but will only continue to get better quickly too i bet.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That is funny. I first heard that line around 1965. It didn't happen then.

6. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I find it amazing how ingrained the concept of, "Something must burn, to make a car move". Alternate fuels seemed to be accepted well enough, even something as foolishly impractical as Hydrogen, was well received by people with no understanding of where it comes from, how it gets used, or why it takes more energy to produce, than it give.

Electricity powers nearly every other tool, and creature comfort in our lives. From drills to cell phones, lights and hot water. But the idea of a car, just seems to be too much to grasp...Maybe another generation of evolution is needed to accept it.

Like li0nhart123, I spend at least $70/week going back and forth to work/errands. First chance to boot the tax man and oil company in the nuts, I'm in.

7. li0nhart123

li0nhart123 Veteran Member

Yeah, i'm getting tired of having to just throw money away...if you think about it....gasoline cars are only about 10% efficient...i.e....only 10% of the combustion process actually goes into moving the vehicle. The rest is wasted heating the asphalt through the tail pipe. That is ridiculous waste of a resource and my $*&&ing money!!...burning coal, oil etc to create electricity is far more efficient as you want to produce the heat to run the steam turbines...I think it is around 50% efficient...not the best but still better than 10%.

As for heat in a an electric vehicle...why not use a propane or gas heater...technology exists to make this safe....using fossil fuels as a pure heat source is above 90% efficient...and would be a much better use of the resource.

The Nissan Leaf is supposed to be out this fall....it should be interesting to see how it does.

We must remember, the first gasoline engines of the 1890's were horrible. Even cars made 20 years after that were unreliable and downright scary...we have come a long way with automobiles.

Electrics can build off of this....the car part is already figured out...refinements in battery or other technologies (capacitors) will surely rapidly develop...now that they are given the chance to get a foot hold without being killed off.

Electric cars have been around for over 100 years...it is not a new technology.

Electric motors are around 90% efficient...that is why you can travel 50 to 100 miles on batteries that altogether contain the same energy as 1 quart of gasoline.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't worry about that. We have enough excess capacity in the grid to supply all the cars they can build in the near future (battery production limited, basically), if we opt to use a smidgen of demand-side load regulation.

IIRC, a modern car approaches 25% efficiency, with the advances in EFI, along with fast ECMs and high compression. Typical coal-fired power plant isn't actually a whole lot better (30% range, tops, IIRC- I know the Orlando coal plant built in '87 is only 21-22%, and nuclear is a bit lower than coal on average), but I can't burn coal in my car, so that's fine. Transmission line losses bring the efficiency down at the end use point, too.

A car with a 70 mile range would be a perfect commuter for me. I could charge overnight, no problem- those uber-rapid charges aren't good for battery life, but sometimes, you'd need to, I guess. Of course, it wouldn't be cheaper than the paid-for cars I've got, so I'll keep waiting, I suppose.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oil Companies will probably do the same as they did to the EV1. Crush them all and say that no one was interested in the electric car.
    If they went and mass produced the car that sure would bring home the troops!!! Quit fighting for oil and go electric.

http://www.ev1.org/

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think that augmenting the "electric charging station" with onboard solar cells would extend the range of the vehicle. Let's face it, part of every "trip to the store or work" has stop signs and street lights where we sit idling for minutes at a time. An electric vehicle is either consuming no power from the batteries or almost none (motor off, acceries on). The solar cells could be charging the batteries and/or powering whatever the vehicle needs are the whole time.