Full charge in 10 mins.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by li0nhart123, Jul 8, 2010.

1. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not to mention that the power grid couldnt sustain everyone using electric cars anyway. Just everyone using their AC in the summer blows whole towns out, imagine everyone plugging their cars in.

2. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gary,

Lance Armstrong is advertising it right now during the Tour de France. They are a major sponser of Team RadioShack and solely to push the Leaf......a 100% electric car by Nissan! So it's real.

I'll see if I can dig up the spot that Lance did on the car..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5IMPR4iBQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50vU1-RQaho&NR=1

and.....

Order yours today: (for$24,000)
    http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/index#/leaf-electric-car/index

Due out next year.......

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. al5570

al5570 Veteran Member

if you read the fine print on the leaf, some are coming out this year. then more next year, and 2012 is full rollout. but you will start seeing these on the road now.

and someone mentioned solar panels above, the prius actually has roof panels that powers the rear AC i believe.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Every little bit helps, but the car-roof solar panels probably max out around 75W of charge- about 1/10hp. That's not going to put a huge dent in grid consumption, even if left in the sun all day.

5. li0nhart123

li0nhart123 Veteran Member

I don't think they will be able to do it this time 'round...public sentiment has now changed....high oil prices, wars over oil, gulf oil spill...Exxon Valdez being mentioned daily etc.

Plus, there are many different brands of EV's already being sold in Europe....governments both here and abroad are giving incentives to own them and are endorsing them as well.

Right now, batteries are only a stepping stone to other electrical storage methods for the cars. Batteries store the charge (energy) chemically...so does oil....but there are high energy capacitors coming online that will charge as fast as you can pump the current into them...it will take mere seconds to charge them up....some of them use a form of paper a the storage medium.

6. iregret

iregret Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hear that if everyone plugs in their coffee pots at the same time the grid can't sustain that either. Or if everyone flushes their toilet at the same time the sewer system explodes!

Currently the system can sustain it. Not for long though. Fact is our electric system is several generations old. There are some things still in place from WWII. It really needs to be upgraded. Americans consume more electricity than any other country.