Furnace not igniting- theories?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Sep 20, 2020.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am going to call furnace companies tomorrow, but its worked for 4 years no issue. Used it a few months ago no issue, turned right on from thermostat/nest. Today I realized it wasn't firing up when I called for heat, I hear it like priming/but no ignite then turns off. I took the cover off the panel, vacuumed it out, looking at it. Tried it again, fires right up. Runs like a champ!

Put the cover on, thinking I fixed it somehow. It won't turn on, ok. annoying, I repeated by taking cover off, fires up. I put the cover on, nogo. I loosen 1 screw. Just a hair, where a small gap opened, and she fires up. So one little air crack in door being opened is letting furnace run properly.

I googled and found out people say its a intake clog typically, not enough fresh air? I shop vaccd the intake tube, nothing came out. I put a new filter in for heck of it, nothing. Everywhere is closed today, and its not an emergency. But tomorrow before I make a bunch of calls im trying to figure out the best route of ideas.

If the furnace runs fine, it has spark, and gas, but lacks the air. By opening the cover, it has air.

Is this a faulty pressure gauge or some kind of gauge that determines the air? kind of perplexed. I was thinking its the igniter, but it ignites just fine when the cover is cracked/off. so I mean, that seems to work fine. Is there a sensor on the igniter that determines if theres enough air, or is that another sensor?

This is what's on my furnace as igniter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  2. FreedomPenguin

When furnace is on, it blows heat out that same pipe. Is this the intake? Or exhaust?

Attached Files:

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Check the vent screen for the air intake. Just last winter I was having same issue. Mine was a combo of intake screen clogged up, and the gap on the igniter was spread apart.

Depending on your furnace the igniter will most likely looks like a spark plug mounted on a flange. Clean it up, adjust the gap and will probably be fine.

4. hoppy

hoppy New Member

The exhaust blows out the center of the triangle vent away from the house the intake is on the backside or house side of the triangle vent search "concentric vent kit"

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That Intake/Exhaust set up looks odd that it's routed to the same "nozzle" outside.

I don't see anything which prevents the intake fan from pulling air from the exhaust side of the system.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure that is the issue with ignition but it doesn't look right to me.

Mine is has two separate pipes all the way to the end and they are pointed away from each other.

<edit> My question was explained in the above post.

Don... You probably only cleaned the exhaust side of that concentric vent.
    The Intake side is probably the root cause of your problem.

6. FreedomPenguin

I had to leave home but he’s correct I bet mine has the exhaust on other side behind it! I didn’t vacuum that out didn’t even know that existed

May be an clog there. Will check out when I’m
    Back

and yeah it’s weird to me I’d imagine it would suck exhaust back in but it’s worked for 4 years

7. hoppy

hoppy New Member

Intake and exhaust air do not mix in the concentrict vent kit they are separated in the vent.

8. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You do know there's a safety switch on the door/panel ?

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. FreedomPenguin

Not on this panel. The bottom panel has a safety button
    Top has no switch button poke thing

10. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well don't screw around, CM, is a deadly killer , and you will not know it, unless you get luckey , and notice headaches , and not everyone gets those , so spend a little money and get it checked out, I am sure you and your family are worth the expense!!

carhead22000 likes this.