Furnace not igniting- theories?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Sep 20, 2020.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Found a local place newish but decent reviews. Good but few. He said $60 to come diagnose it, i said that’s fine. Other companies are double. If he can diagnose and determine exact cause of it, I have no issue

He can repair it if fair, but if wants a fortune for something easy I will buy it and toss on myself.
    Pretty sure it’s the pressure switch at this point. But want confirmation

2. FreedomPenguin

It’s either obstruction or pressure switch. Lol but there’s two switch looking devices in there so will let him tell me which one or if another cause

3. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does it have an ECM blower motor? Or a regular PSC motor with a capacitor?
    Don't get me started on those module 24v control motors that every company is using now.
    Lets take a cheap reliable blower motor .....and put a ECM Module motor in there instead. A $70.00 motor and cap vs a $600.00 one

4. FreedomPenguin

yes, I believe it does because theres a little black box connected to the blower. but tomorrow I will update! if I can come out for less than $200, I will not be mad. Lol but if its an expensive part, so be it. home owner life. It is something that failed itself though, as it worked last time I used it.

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I feel your pain. Every year I have to do something with my boiler (hot water heat) go figure went to fire it up a couple weeks ago and there was zero water pressure. Closed system....sure as hell didn’t evaporate. Must be a leak. Safety valve was dribbling. Ever so slightly. Good thing I happened to catch the droplet out of the corner of my eye. I was about to start opening walls. Last year was a zone valve. Year before was a different zone valve. Year before was the main computer board ($800) AND a zone valve.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

I'm there. I have a dozen zone valves and they take turns going for a dump. Expensive little buggers, even doing it myself.

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Just a thought,alot of these units have 5 or 10 years part warrantys.Those cheap plastic pressure switches are just that.I have a friend who installs Goodman [cheap crap] and is always replacing those pressure switches.even the crappy Goodmans have 10 year parts I believe.May help a little with the bill-worth asking the tech-Later Steve!!

8. FreedomPenguin

The guy came out. Real nice fellow, we did test on everything. He couldn’t really pinpoint. Says it has to be pressure switch or both

He left and I found an ever so slight crack on a prsssure switch hose, I’m talking tiny! I cut it, it’s short now, so I had to set pressure swich on the ground of furnace inside

but it’s working!

I think that little slit in line was throwing pressure off. Has to be. It’s working now.

gonna run to aurozone and get a new hose in proper length so I can remount it.

fingers crossed it stays working. He was here an hour trouble shooting everything and only asked for $50.

overall happy day.

9. FreedomPenguin

The red hose had a almost impossible crack to see in it

No one locally has silicone hose

so I bought a small rubber vacuum line, swapped them out. Boom. Working perfectly

Attached Files:

roadrace2 likes this.
  10. FreedomPenguin

Total spent. 50 dollars for inspector but he couldn’t peg it. No big deal, he put blame though at the pressure switches himself. And 2 dollar hose and 2 dollar Kit Kat

roadrace2 likes this.