Fusion energy device sets a record by running for 20 seconds

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Dec 27, 2020.

1. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So like, wow, we're really getting close now :rolleyes: Only 20 years away for 60 years and counting ..

https://www.engadget.com/kstar-fusion-device-sets-record-210817623.html

Most technology creators would consider a seconds-long test a bitter disappointment, but it’s a rousing success in the world of fusion energy. According to Phys.org, the Korea Superconducting Tokamak Advanced Research (KSTAR) device recently set a world record by maintaining its plasma at a super-hot 180 million degrees Fahrenheit for 20 seconds. That may not sound like much, but no previous fusion machine lasted for more than 10 seconds in those conditions — even KSTAR held out for just eight seconds in 2019.

The key was to improve the Internal Transport Barrier that helps with plasma confinement and stability.

There’s a lot of work left. KSTAR’s ultimate goal is to run non-stop for five minutes at the extreme temperature by 2025. The breakthrough is an important step in that direction, though, and could prove vital if fusion reactors are to become a practical reality. That, in turn, could help the planet by further reducing the dependence on coal and other CO2-heavy energy sources.

80sz and Zstar like this.
  2. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I am not going to say I understand the science, but Dan that was a pretty good explanation. I do know that when they get
    this science to work on a large scale, our lives will change drastically.

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

It’s takes power to make power to make power more powerful. Powerful huh.

4. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Y'all remember Cold Fusion ? Twentieth century alchemy.
    Seems CF may've died even before it's "inventor" (Fleischmann) died 2012.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’m curious how they are managing to do this but not so curious that I want to be any where near it.

Stanley Pons is still alive but I haven’t heard of any cold fusion progress by him.

dcozzi likes this.
  6. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

If this technology is able to be harnessed enough to the point of producing commercial amounts of power, everything will change especially with the fossil fuel industry.

7. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Controlled fusion will be a huge breakthrough, for sure. Little or no radioactive by-products, too, unlike fission. I've just given up seeing it in my lifetime .. They've been working on Tokamaks since I was in college.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fusion still requires far more power than it can generate. It's going to need a quantum leap in technology because what we have today just won't work beyond very small improvements. It's a hundred years away.