FYI Chrome Plating Removal

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by GoldenOne7710, Oct 15, 2020.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Any tips? I have an old chrome Edelbrock signature air cleaner lid that I want to use...but I want to paint it black. Haven't been a fan of chrome in an engine bay for a long time. I prefer the look of polished aluminum or stainless steel...or simply painted.

I've read I could soak it in muratic acid, bleach or even acetone (not mixed of course) and it would make the plating easily removed. Anybody used these methods with success?

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Haven’t used chemicals, but have had good luck with the little blasting cabinet just roughing it up good so the paint sticks well

dcozzi likes this.
  3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Getting the chrome off is only half the battle and can be done (slowly) with muriatic acid. Then your are left with a nickel plated part that acid won’t touch. I left a nickle plated bolt in acid for 4 weeks and it came out the same as it went in. You can try blasting it, but I never had much luck. Electrolytic stripping is best. Take it to a chrome shop and tell them to strip it and they just reverse the anode-cathode.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That’s probably the simplest method and quite effective if the goal is to paint or powder coat the part.

dcozzi likes this.
  5. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I think Brownells sell the correct acids to remove the chrome, I was looking for stuff to dechrome a luger upper I have on a blue lower. Kind of a cool duo tone P08 pistol, it shoots fine, that's the only reason I'm leery about removing the chrome. jim

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

7. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Its been years (over 30) but occasionally we had to remove chrome plating in my Dad's business. I'm almost positive we used hydrochloric acid and water, a 30/40% mixture, so, for example, 1/3 cup HCl and 1 cup water. Place the piece in a container, leave it in until the plating is removed, pull it out, rinse and dry completely.