Garage cost

M1 Master Gunner

Veteran Member
Feb 13, 2020
Laurens, Iowa
In 2019 I stick built a 24’x24’x8’ garage with a single 7’x9’ door and vinyl siding for $15000. The concrete slab cost $2500 poured by a contractor. The local hometown lumber yard supplied all the materials and the local electrician buried the power line.
The building was erected by wife, a couple of neighbors and myself.
I am sure glad that we built it then and not today.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Right now is probably a bad time to be building anything due to high lumber costs. I built a 18x24x8 garage back in 1992, and a 24x48x10 garage in 2004. Compared to today's prices, they both were ridiculously cheap, too cheap to mention. I don't have any idea what those buildings would cost today.

I did some comparison pricing a month or so ago for just the electrical work in my 24x48 garage and compared to 2004, the same wiring would be 5-6 times today what I spent back then.

Bandit723

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2016
Waupaca WI
Might be a good time to lock in and buy from the "R" sure you will have to wait a while before you get your materials. The "R" is only worth a penny against the dollar. Sure my broker is trying to figure out how to make money off of that.

twestrup

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
St. George, Utah

camaro lover

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2002
Owen Sound, Ont, Canada
Up here in Canada, a co-worker had a 2 car with in floor heat built last year and paid $100,000 for it. A friend of mine just called around for quotes for a 2 car and it was close to 150,000. Crazy prices

aviator2007

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2020
Denver
I cannot see how anything can get built anywhere in this country using conventional construction materials for $100 sqft. I can't even get the materials to finish the last 500 sqft of my basement for under $5500. Like it has been mentioned costs are out of control. The positive side is building material typically will come back in cost quite a bit but the question is that 3 months from now or two years? Just my two cents worth. Best of luck for whenever you move forward!

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
I built my 30' x 60' pole barn for about $30K in 2009. Including concrete slab, shingles, vinyl siding, garage doors. No electric, I did that myself.

A co-worker told me yesterday he was quoted $200/sq ft for an addition. Wood prices are out of sight, and labor is very difficult to find, I've also heard from my builder stepson in Tennessee.

oPh

Jan 21, 2022
Sealed up w/o interior electric wiring run (did everything but the panel myself) spent right around 57K on putting up my engineered red iron steel garage. I did not go with a local high overhead metal building bunch, instead subbed out the erection. Building is a custom, has a slight L shape to it, right under 2900 sq ft. Did all the site prep & dirt work myself. Helped set forms, tie the rod, & pour 77 yds of concrete.
That is coming up on 5 years ago. Locally concrete has risen 30-35 % since, red iron beams, Z purlins, & R panels even more. Not sure how much on the big insulated doors & all the big rolls of insulation. That said, have seen MUCH higher price increases in wood products, 2x’s, 4x8 sheets, absolutely ridiculous. Having performed a lot of remodeling & exterior work in some very snooty areas, I’d investigate to the T what restrictions there are from the HOA standpoint. If a steel roof is allowed, a quality steel building with the right amount of masonry could easily be more cost effective, be very attractive & not have the long term maintenance issues of a stick built wood & siding garage.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Right now is probably a bad time to be building anything due to high lumber costs. I built a 18x24x8 garage back in 1992, and a 24x48x10 garage in 2004. Compared to today's prices, they both were ridiculously cheap, too cheap to mention. I don't have any idea what those buildings would cost today.

I did some comparison pricing a month or so ago for just the electrical work in my 24x48 garage and compared to 2004, the same wiring would be 5-6 times today what I spent back then.
My second garage is 24x30x9 so I’m a little jealous 👍

Smokin'Joe

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
Not that this helps the OP in any way, but my neighbor had his slab poured a few months ago and the builder was set to finish his 26'x36' shop. Fast forward 2 months and the builder has now backed out of completing the shop due to the high cost of materials. Seems the material shortage and costs have really put a hurt on a lot of things.

Also as oPh mentioned, these days, it may be cheaper ( or at least similar in cost ) to do an engineered steel building with masonry on the front. We don't have HOA here, but my city recently implemented new mandates that any new detached garages need to have brick/stone that appear similar to the house, but only on the street facing side.

--