Garage cost

brooksman9

Veteran Member
Jun 10, 2007
Olive Branch, MS
Went and checked with the code enforcement office. I can pull the permits and build myself or get prefab. Waiting on a call back about the slab inspection particulars. Will research more from there. Really need the slab and parking space the worst for now. Garage can come over time.

Smokin'Joe

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
One piece of advice would be to get a really good concrete guy. The only thing I would have done different on my building would have been to go thicker slab and with bigger rebar. My part of Texas the ground shifts a lot and I had cracks appearing within the first 2 years the slab was down. Now 8 years later, there are some even larger cracks still appearing. I really wish I would have spent the few hundred extra back then, which would have made for a much better slab today. A good concrete guy can ensure you have the proper dirt work, a few inches of cushion sand, and a good perimeter beam to hold the weight of the structure, topping it off with a 6" slab. 6" may seem like overkill, but the cost difference between pouring 4" thick and 6" thick on your size shop probably only amounts to an additional 2 yards of concrete, so might add $250-$300 to the cost of the slab. The old adage of doing it right the first time should count double when it comes to your foundation.

--

brooksman9

Veteran Member
Jun 10, 2007
Olive Branch, MS
Hoping to get one of my brothers guys to do the concrete work on the side. He does tilt up warehouses etc. A little garage slab should be a piece of cake and I'm sure they would over do it just based off of what they do to begin with. If not a guy I work with has some Mexican neighbors who did his. We'll see.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
Awesome house, not too sure about the setting though. If that was on 5 acres somewhere? Yessss!

Part of me would like to be out in the country again like the house we just sold with the 26x26 attached and the 30x40 detached. We've lived in the country for most of our married life (49+ years).

But Mrs. Champ wants to be in town on city water and sewer and close to restaurants, shopping and other services. It's the one thing that she insisted on for our "forever" home. Her thought process is that as we get older, having less grass to cut, less snow to blow and proximity to services would be important. I think part of it is the thought of at some point in time being a widow (not that anything dire is imminent).

I have to admit that the convenience of living in our current townhome has been nice. Instead of a 30 minute drive to work at my part time retirement gig, it's 4 minutes. We have 3 real grocery stores within 5 minutes. Costco is 4 minutes. Mayo Clinic/Hospital is 5 minutes (spent all day on Monday for my Oncology checkup - good news was clean report).

So with all that said, our focus is in a town of reasonable size and a house and lot that can handle our two daily drivers and a 1972 Camaro and a 1964 GTO, with enough storage and work area to accommodate our toys.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Good advise from Smokin'Joe. I went with 6" of fiber-crete just because of the radiant heat in the floor. Didn't want any failure there. That was 22 yrs ago.
Concrete guy told me two guarantees.
1. It will get hard
2. It will crack.
Mine still looks pretty good, most cracks are in the saw cuts.
Mine is a Morton building. Watched a vid on comparable size, it's about 6 times what I paid.

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
I have to agree with Mrs. Champ. My house is just outside the city limits with all needed
services and shopping within 10 min. I don't want the meat wagon to have to go too far. LOL!!!

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
I don't want the meat wagon to have to go too far. LOL!!!

Been through that situation back in 2006. It hurt so bad to breathe that I knew I couldn't drive myself 30 minutes to get to the ER, so I dialed 911. The local volunteer ambulance service couldn't administer narcotics, so they radioed ahead to the ambulance service in Rochester and they met us the I-90 and Hwy 63 intersection and gave me morphine.

Ended up in Mayo for 10 days - partially collapsed lung, pneumonia and MRSA. Luckiest guy in the world to have needed emergency lung surgery - when I went in for the clean bill of health on my lungs they spotted something on my right kidney. Two weeks later I became a cancer survivor for the first time...

Latest posts