Garage find

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Scott Sievers, May 24, 2018.

1. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

My buddy is usually the one who calls me and tells me when swap meets, shows etc, are... For years I didn't go to ANY of them.. now that I have the Camaro they are fun again, instead of making me sick to my stomach... I sold him my 71 AMC Javelin that I drove back from California in 1984??? been a while... He is getting it all fixed up, after it sat on jack stands in his garage for over 30 years....
    GoodGuys 28th Speedway Motors Heartland Nationals.... July 5 - 7 Wife will be here, and my son will be on leave.. might try to convince them to take a ride to DesMoines. NOW that the wife has the Slingshot she seems more interested in doing stuff like that, and of course my son has his fire chicken so there is interest all the way around... for the first time in... well.... 32 years!

71RSLS and [email protected] like this.
  2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know you're looking forward to that. Sounds like a good time for everyone.

3. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Back in September 1980 I went to order a 1981 Z-28 Charcoal metallic with Black interior. I found out in 1981 they were controlled by computer and you either had 4 speed with 305 CID, or automatic with 350 CID. I bought the 350 with lockup torque converter. I kept it for only 18 months, then traded it in for 1978 Trans Am. Then I bought a real Camaro with power 1970 SS 396 (402) L-78 with headers. Very fsat. Sold it in 2001 to Chuck Sharin. Now I own a 1970 SS 396 L-34 with headers also very fast. They are nice looking. But the 1980 and 81 Camaro's are very nice looking also. Hope you get the car.

Scott Sievers likes this.
  4. Scott Sievers

Update..... It's been a while,. and I have been tinkering.... The money got paid back, and.. I spent it!!!! Before anything ELSE happened! the 434 is on the stand.. waiting for replacement lifters... I originally ordered the crane short travel lifters #15853-16... unfortunately, the billet .900 base circle custom ground cam arrived, and no lifters, and I waited, and no lifters... they had no idea WHEN they would be available.. I let the fellow from Crane talk me into running the 853-16 Hydraulic rollers... got them a few days later.. Set up the cam, soaked the lifters for a couple days, and installed them... except.. they were a mess... One of the lifters would only preload 1 turn, two others would preload over 2 turns, and most preloaded 1.5 turns.. I intended to run them tight... the problem came in when three of them, could be screwed down and bottomed out with my fingers. Literally, turning the lock nuts down with my fingers until the lifter bottomed out...
    So I called the guy I had been dealing with, and he immediately told me to send them back, and he would GET ME the 15853 short travel lifters... so at this time the 434 is assembled, and waiting for the new lifters...

DSCF5267.JPG

The other thing I was dealing with, was the wait on the hood... Despite the reviews, I ordered a hood from Thomas at Feathercarbon.. everyone has the slab sided cowl induction hoods, I didn't want that.. so I looked and looked, and found Feathercarbon... I LIKED the way the carbon fiber cowl hood he had looked.. A LOT! So I ordered it back in January, and told him I NEEDED it by April... April came and went. May came and went, June came and went... I emailed him several times, and he very seldom replied, so I got mad and called... he answers his phone! He is a great guy to talk to, easy to get along with, and always has a good explanation.. I was still rather worried I had just spent a LOT of money and wasn't going to get anything... Then I got the text on my phone from him the hood had shipped... I will say, that despite all the frustrations and lack of communication, it was worth the entire wait and all the frustrations.. the guy can make a hood...

HoodOn.jpg

When the 434 is in, new exhaust and the locker with moser axles and a little bigger rear tires, I will order the trunk lid and spoilers from him also in carbon fiber... I'd like to find someone who can make the fender louvers in Carbon fiber too... And of course I will have the nose replaced/repainted, and I am ordering Z28 stripes just like it has only in solid black, from Phoenix graphics for it.. so the exterior will be black and bronze, then i will make the interior black and tan.. wife hates the seats.. they are in near perfect condition, but they don't recline AND they lean too far back, and she "Doesn't like riding Ghetto!"
    The dream is alive.. I just hope I get to run it down the 1/4 a couple times before I get too old!

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I like the hood. I just got my hands on the same heads you have there. Can't wait to see what you run with them. All I will have is a crummy old 406 to run them on.

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

might try some 4th gen seats?.....I have a set waiting for the car to get to "that point" btw go POWER then you get lumbar and everything else ;)

7. Scott Sievers

The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension... I have an mp4 vid of the engine n the stand, but cant upload it... Facebook link...
    AND that says video is no longer available...
    Anyhow.. yeah, I need to find someone that can reupholster seats to see if its worth it or if I just go with NEW seats... found some I like, but looking at 1400 bucks for the pair...
    Those AFR Heads should help wake up that "Crumby" old 406 for sure!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  8. Scott Sievers

Update;

434 is in the car and running, 3" pypes exhaust bolted on back to the mufflers.... I ordered a 9 inch replacement rear end from Moser engineering, was supposed to be here on the second.. still not here... still waiting.... I bought a set of nice looking buckets out of a Honda, need to cut the brackets off them and make new ones to fit the Z, then i will take them to a nearby upholstery shop.... Took it out for a couple test drives... then my wife came flying up in her slingshot and passed me.... My Daughter was riding and videoed it... but as usual my files just say they do not have an allowed extension.. despite uploading to facebook, other forums and even Discord, I cant upload anything here... which is why there are so few pics in my thread... ANYHOW... I can light the "tire" at 50mph in third just by stepping on it, and it is a holy terror in first and second.. HOPING the new posi 9inch will let me get at least a little bite...
    Can anyone tell me how to upload pics and vids? The vid is just an MP4... LATER!

9. Scott Sievers

Moser_9inch_MusclePak.jpg

1978 Z/28, moosey3000 and roadrace2 like this.
  10. Scott Sievers

Rear end came in today, looks really good!!! Like the pic only set up for the camaro instead of coils.