Gauges.....Not sure what to buy!

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Millwright, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Millwright

Millwright Member

I am not impressed with my original gauges in my 1973 Z28 so I have decided to swap them out. I am having a terrible time deciding on the right gauges. I have a brushed aluminum look gauge surround to go in and wanted a black face gauge to go with it. Something classic looking but suited to the car.

Looked at Autometer sport comp but would like something with a brushed or polished bezel.

Looked at Autometer Traditional chrome but I think the bezel may be a little too detailed and not suit the car.

Looked at Autometer Designer Black but they come with curved glass and that may look odd.

The Autometer GS series look pretty close to what I want but light up green.....yuk.

Looked at Classic Instruments and a few others and never seemed to find what I was hoping for.

What are your thoughts on the 3 I had looked at?

Do you think it would work out polishing the sport comp bezels?

Please let me know your thoughts on where I should head with this. Post pics if you have them

Thanks

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Had gs series. They are nice, I liked the green with red . LED are bright. I had to get a dimmer

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Here are Sports Comp with Autometer Angle Rings ... I even used them on the 3-pod in the console.
    [​IMG]

Zstar likes this.
  4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I have the Sport Comp II. I wanted an "updated factory" look and those worked out perfect.

And like 80sz said they are very bright so you'll want to get the dimmer. The factory dimmer wont work with LED, so you'll need to get auto meter's dimmer or one that's meant for LEDs.

Bunch of photos on my website...

http://ultm8z.com/Interior.htm

5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

This is easy...change out the bulbs. Problem solved.

6. Millwright

Millwright Member

I think I may have found something that will be just right. Unfortunately they are stupid expensive. Autometer Chrono Series. I was under the impression that I couldn't go with an electronic gauge, looks like it just takes an adapter and a bit of install.

These but in a silver brushed surround.

[​IMG]

7. RxRmechanic

RxRmechanic Member

I'm with you 100% on that one. Just one man's opinion : if I was to stick to aftermarket gauges like A.M. sport comp, phantom, etc. (or the like) I'd just assume pull the entire dash, go to the brake and form my own sheetmetal dash. Just for the sake of the large exposed bezels. Personally, I preferred VDO. That instrument panel attachment you posted looks like the guages belong there. Thumbs UP!

8. Millwright

Millwright Member

Do you think they will look ok with the brushed surround?

9. RxRmechanic

RxRmechanic Member

Yes I do. I'd be remiss if I didn't pass on for you to look up "Smiths Gauges" they have some very interesting stuff to say the least. There's lots of options out there.

10. RxRmechanic

RxRmechanic Member

Everything we have on the analog locomotives are Stewart Warner. Unless they break from blunt force, they last millions of miles in harsh conditions plumbed against those big diesels inside the carbody. Look sharp too.