Gear marking

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
That picture was turning it with aa axle... These pics are with a drill
That looks pretty good to me. I would run it and be aware that sometimes gear noise does not happen right away as I have found out running Richmond gears. They are the noisiest ones I have ever used but that last and are tough.

gridiron_gang

Jun 19, 2022
Sometimes you just don't get to see what you want to see or what the books are telling...

I would say judging your last pics, that the drive side is a bit deep BUT, the .43 pics don't show the improvement I was looking for.

The good news is that both drive and coast side show the widest pattern crown to root now (most important) and don't show sharp edges on top or at the bottom of the pattern. This makes me believe that you're at the best pattern you're gonna get.

Run it.
Thanks for the advice!

gridiron_gang

Jun 19, 2022
That looks pretty good to me. I would run it and be aware that sometimes gear noise does not happen right away as I have found out running Richmond gears. They are the noisiest ones I have ever used but that last and are tough.
This is a motive gear.. Blue box... New.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Here is a chart of what the pattern should look like, I forgot I had this saved.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
must be hit or miss as Richmond's have always been my go-to street gear for pure silent performance.

camaro71/holland

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2003
The Netherlands
What I know is what applies to all brands: all you can do is set it up with the best pattern achievable. If it still makes noise, there's not much logic you can apply to it.
Richmond doesn't have the best track record in this chart, but you have to keep in mind that it's more a performance/race orientated brand, than some others who strive for a smooth and quiet mesh. In the performance market you want the gears to stick to the end of the run at the cost of some noise.