Gear Reduction Starter Guys In Here.......

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by kenny77, Jan 27, 2012.

1. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does anyone know of a small starter that will work in place of a IRON NOSE starter on a 168 late one piece seal flywheel?

The only starter that fits this car/bellhousing/flywheel combo is the iron nose one. The problem is the couple of mini starters I've looked at have said in the instructions that they will not work in place of an iron nose starter without shimming it like 1/8 inch. Screw that.

Its a 2006 ZZ383 late block so I have no idea what the #4 under "Additional Notes on Installation" means.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/025___GMMiniSta.pdf

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If your car has HEI, I don't think you need to worry about that note. The older external coil cars had the ballast resistor bypass "yellow wire". I think that's what they're talking about. I have that starter by the way and its a good choice. IMHO.

3. kenny77

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is the cast iron nose the only one that fits in the bell housing? There should be nothing about the 383 short block that requires it, I wouldn't think anyway???

The Vortec V6 mini starter for 168 tooth won't fit in? Late 80s/early 90s 4.3 S10/Jimmy, IIRC.

5. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Whoops... Additional notes:shy: ... deleted my useless post.
    What I can add is that I have a Gen I block with the #621 housing and replaced the aluminium nosed starter and used one traditional shim with that similar mini starter. My .02 cents.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. kenny77

The cast iron nose is the only one that fits in the bellhousing 168 W 11" clutch.

Since they mention the problem is with I guess the early ancient blocks...I wonder if it would bolt up anyway? The thought of having to use up to 1/8 inch of shims is not an option.

My block looks like anything will bolt up to, at this point it's a question if the nose of the thing will go in the bellhousing

7. kenny77

Never thought of messing with the Vortec V6 starter deal. Maybe I should?

8. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of

1/8" shim is not uncommon at all, nor is it unreasonable BTDT. Go for it,
    Set it up as instructed you will be fine.

The mini starter does not have a 'nose' on it at all.

I've had to spend hours setting up a mini starter on my 454 but eventually it worked just fine.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had the GMPP mini starter for a lot of years until I finally killed it. I'm bad about keeping a good charge on the battery, so lots of 8-9V rolls...
    Anyway, I'm now using a factory LT1 mini starter. I like the fit better. Mine is for a 153 tooth flywheel, though.

The V6 mini starter has the staggered pattern for the 168 tooth. There was a recent thread here (somewhere?) about it. I'm certain it will roll that 383 with no problem. I took advantage of the mini starter torque, and dropped down to a Honda Civic Group 51R battery- 14lbs weight savings.:) When I remember to charge it:rolleyes:, it will crank over on the coldest day in winter, no problem. The car sat outside our first winter here due to all our unpacked crap in the garage, so I know this to be fact.:)

10. kenny77

Mark,

That's funny that you should mention that. That's exactly what I'd like to avoid having to do. Bad enough that I have to drop the header on that side just to get the old big iron nose bastard out of there.

As a teenager I once stripped out a starter mounting hole/bolt while struggling with one of these 40lb starters. I've always been nervous bolting these things on and off since that day.