Gen 1 sbc crate engine

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by muscl car, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Veteran Member

With no experience, I got a Gen-1 638 block and put everything in it brand new. Crank, cam, rods, bearings, pistons, lifters, pushrods, valves, intake, carb, and distributor. With a rough estimate i'd say was somewhere around $4,000 including all the broken pushrods collapsed lifters, and wiped cam lobes, lol. It took me a couple of years worth of research (and help from everybody here) and trial and error...a.k.a. wasted money, to get it right. But just for the price of labor alone, there's no way I could afford to have one built. Plus with everything that I learned in the process...all that pretty much made this whole project priceless.

carhead22000 likes this.
  2. dickeymoore

dickeymoore Veteran Member

Yeah building a custom engine from scratch will add up quickly a friend of mines bought a sbc 400 blueprint engine and it's filled with all kinds of China junk parts I will never buy a blueprint engine like the intake, distributor roller rockers and valve covers and who knows about the internal parts and the sparkplug holes in the heads points downwards instead off straight PITA for header fitments !!!!!!

3. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

Is that fuel line or garden hose ? :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    muscl car likes this.
  4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Russell twist lok fuel line

5. Harry coyne

Harry coyne New Member

my engine builder is using Dart block and heads just to start with and it’s being stroked out to 427 sbc. Once complete it’s 14,000 plus. It adds up quick. I have had my 71 rs for 25 years, life gets in the way as you go. To finish it, it’s 36,000 in parts alone. I am doing all work besides the engine build. I’m guessing about 1 to 2 years until complete as I am now going to start rebuilding it to what I want.

it’s original RS with I believe a 307 and automatic on the column. I’ll remove all original, engine, tranny, rear end in case I ever sell and anyone wants to turn back to stock

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Nice build you have going with that 427 SBC, perfect foundation with that DART block and heads.

Just another example of how things add up, if you are in the US, just X by 1.25-1.30 and add 13% tax, and your right there at 20k up in the great white north.

I think if everyone truly added everything required for parts for a new engine, or a complete resto, half the projects would never get started in the first place, sometimes it's not good to really figure it out, just build as you go.

fltinstructor likes this.
  7. need-for-speed

There’s a very big difference in an engine sold by a known engine builder vs. a guy selling one that’s sitting in his garage. With the garage engine, the buyer has no clue what they are buying and the price paid will reflect that.

p.s. nobody like C4s LOL.

Zstar and 1980RS like this.
  8. need-for-speed

As they say, be sure to keep all of your receipts, but whatever you do, NEVER add them all up LOL.

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I have one guy that wants the peanut port engine so bad he can taste it, his offer 2K for a carb to pan engine LOL-F-ing-L. I told him Wheeler Racing engines will build you the same thing for 10K so go there, he has not asked since that statement. I have bought plenty of used performance engines, last fall I was working on a deal for a 502 with some Dart heads which was all I wanted, he was asking $3500 in late Nov. not a good time to sell engines like that. I offered $2500 for all of it but he passed, as like most here have said it's a crap shoot buying used. Same goes for used heads but for me I only trust my work on them, even though other people do good work I know that if there is something wrong it's my fault and mine alone.

need-for-speed and Zstar like this.
  10. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Veteran Member

I definitely do. I've got every receipt for every dime since the day I bought it...and I went to add up just what I bought from Summit, and stopped about half way down the list when I was closing in on the $5,000 mark, lol