Gen 5 Brake conversion wheel choices

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Yearn4camaros, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Yearn4camaros

Yearn4camaros New Member

Hey fellas, so I completed the 5th gen Camaro SS Brembo brake conversion on the front of my 73 using the kit from BigBreakUpgrade.com (awesome product and even better support- thanks Scott!). BUT now i ran into an unforeseen wheel clearancing problem where it won't clear the caliper. I'm running the Ridler 645 wheels, 18" front and 20"rear, but the inner spoke portion of the wheel won't clear the caliper. I don't want to run a spacer as it will push the wheel out too far (about 1/2"). I have also cut off the pad absorbers since the pic.

What wheels are you guys running that did this upgrade? Thanks in advance!

20201203_193443.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

First thing that will help you with wheel diameter choice is removing what had been dubbed the "roller skates" sticking up from the brake pads. I believe there are 18" wheels that will clear the caliper outside area with the roller skates removed. The initial 5th gen SS brembo brake cars did not have the roller skates, mine didn't. Also, the wheel spoke area will need the clear the outside face of the caliper, they stick out way past the wheel mounting surface of the rotor/hub. If you are looking at off the shelf wheels, your choices may be limited. I have 20" Forgeline DS3's on my 2010 SS/RS clearing the same calipers you show in the rear and ZL1 6 piston calipers and 2 piece rotors in front (factory ZL1 package).

3. AlbertaZ28

AlbertaZ28 Veteran Member

I am running 18" Foose Legends with my 6th Gen Camaro Brakes, but the 6th gen brakes are inset about 8mm compared to the 5th gen.The front's have lots of clearance but I have an 8mm spacer in the rear.