Gen IV LS Engine/4L80E swap into '73 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by jakeshoe, Aug 20, 2009.

1. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

I only ask because I have an L92 with stock intake that I was hoping to fit under the stock hood. It appears in the pic that the intake is about flush to top of cowl, is it below top of fenders?

Thanks, Joe

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I want.

3. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Veteran Member

Those edelbrock headers look like they fit great. What part number did you end up using?

4. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

The more I see the more I think I'll be going to jake for a motor when the time comes.

Good job.

That LY6 is a killer deal, Is there a better (read: lower) L92 intake for non-rise hoods?

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You would want the LS3 intake for a front load intake, car intake, or GM/Edelbrock make a carb style intake that work with the rectangle ports. This has bosses for fuel injectors

6. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

Hm, ok.

My desire is to put one in my Firebird and use a Formula hood, so I can't be having a super tall intake.

I didn't realize the LS3 head was the same style as the L92. Good to know.

7. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Actually the L92 block is the same part number for the LS3. L92 is truck and LS3 is for passenger vehicles basically. This is the swap I wanted to do but now I am probably going to have to settle for an LS1 instead :( I am looking to buy a house now and that is going to take all of my money for a while lol

8. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

I knew the L92/LS3 block was basically the same but I thought the L92 was the first of the bigger rect port heads. I didn't realize the LS3 were as well.

Good luck on that swap, maybe go with a LQ4 6L or 5.3, they can be had pretty cheap and later a bigger motor would use all the same accessories and such, just a drop in after the original was fitted.

9. JAMMINJ007

JAMMINJ007 Veteran Member

I did you, wont be dissappointed, Jake is a good guy to deal with. Matter of fact that is my car he is working on;)

10. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the good words!

We're in a bit of a holding pattern thanks to Fedex :mad:
    Ordered the stuff Friday, the fedex driver "tried" to deliver Saturday, and I was in the build room in the shop, so they left a note on the door of the house for attempted delivery. :screwup:
    Shop wide open, every door open, every light on, radio going, my truck parked in front of it, and the go to the house with a package for "Jake's Performance".
    They don't deliver Ground on Mondays and my daughter wouldn't open the door for them today because they are in an unmarked van.
    I didn't mind so much because the shop was in dire need of some cleaning Monday, so I did nothing but clean and organize all day Monday.

I'll have some more pics and updates in the next couple of days. We're working on the best controller/harness choice.