getting old is a pain.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Nov 26, 2021.

1. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Veteran Member

Left out social security lol. Like there wont be none when they get older:eek:

2. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Wow. What an eye opening thread. I'll be 52 in February, guess I'm just a young un on here... Shattered my shoulder in a motorcycle accident when I was 41. Broke my back in 7 places when I fell 9ft off a ladder, & landed flat on a cement floor at 43. So far old Arthur idus hasn't showed up to bad. I'm 11 months into a new career, got a CDL & became a truck driver. Wanted to be home daily, so I hired on with R&L doing LTL. The truck is fine, but the pallet jack & liftgate can be a nightmare. Nothing the Chiropractor can't fix so far, but it sounds like the good times are just around the corner lol. I always say I'm in it for the long haul & try to pace myself. Actually that pallet jack has helped me lose 20lbs, as long as it's not completely whipping my butt I think it's been good for me. Most days aren't bad thankfully, it's just the occasional beat down. :lush::roadkill:

budro6968 likes this.
  3. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Only read the first page here so far, but I turned 61 Thanksgiving day. Other than my beer gut I'm in pretty good shape so far (knock on wood), but if I'm going to do anything even as simple as yardwork, I often take 3 or 4 Advil before I even start....really keeps the soreness down later (for me anyway).

c120cut likes this.
  4. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

My wife and I retired 4 years ago. We both had fairly high stress jobs that we liked but about this time of year 4 years ago we both looked at each other and said we are done working. We gave them 9 months notice. We were both 59. Retirement has been great. No major health issues. We like going to breakfast or lunch once or twice a week. We don't do dinner out much because it's gotten expensive. I like to cook. Made my first crab cakes the other night.
    Yeah the bones hurt a bit after a afternoon of pheasant hunting but since I have time I just walk a little slower and watch the dog work.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Nice to retire at 59, many years to enjoy it. Main thing that worries me is that "fixed income" thing. Seems like real inflation is about 20% right now. Might have to dig up a couple canning jars in the backyard at some point.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Some people seem wired to retire and coast and be completely happy. My dad is one. He did some volunteer work, but for the most part, stayed home, went for walks, traveled with my mom quite a bit.
    I retired after 31 years in policing at 52 and was in a high stress position for the last 10 years of it. Didn't take vacation time, always on call etc, very high risk decision making. Thought for sure I would be happy to coast like my dad. Well, after recharging for about 2 weeks, doing home jobs and sorting myself out a bit, I was 100% ready to get back to my old job, but of course that ship had sailed.
    Since then I went back to full time work as a tech at a local shop, then 2 years full time at a remote arctic gold mine (until covid messed that up), then part time recruiting for my old police service, part time at the garage, now started my own business. I may have a shot at a great full time position in an enforcement related job in the spring.

All this to say be careful what you wish for when it comes to retirement. The idea of sitting in a rocking chair with the dog at your feet may seem appealing when you are sick of your job and pi$$ed at the boss, but before you retire, make sure you use your vacation time, and do what you can to recharge in your current job.
    Or, look for something new to go to (best time to find a job is when you have one) that will be a new challenge.
    For many people, the marketing picture painted of retirement is a lie. Most of us are productive, capable and motivated enough to be useful into our 70's, and we need that psychologically.
    If someone can retire and relax with a pipe on the porch, I am entirely happy for them and even envious to a point. It's just not the same for everyone.

bfmgoalie likes this.
  7. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

During my career I worked for a packaging machine manufacturer. I was there for over 36 years. It was a good place to work. I started out as a tech, then a few years as service tech (almost full time travel but the money was great) and then for a couple years a project manager. We were expanding international sales so I took a international sale position. I had Europe, Middle East, South America and Mexico. Met tons of very cool folks in my travels. I can't count the number of times I was told you are so lucky to live in the US. So when I retired I've been very happy to stay close to home. Lots of places in the US I want to see. Some days I'm happy to sit and read a book. Some days a half day fishing or some type of bird hunting. More time to work on projects cars and such. My wife of 42 years did a great job of holding down the fort while I was traveling.

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Well you certainly put your time in, and planned well for retirement. Keep up the good work!

9. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

as I get a little older, I don't see myself not doing stuff when we officially retire. I'm a swap meet, yard sale, shopper and love to flip stuff. not a ton of extra cash but enough to pay for the toys. I know another gut that got laid off 6 or so years ago and now does this stuff full time and seems to do pretty well. His wife's got a great job, carries the insurance etc so his hobby is a cash cow to do the crazy stuff. he's got a 1800 sq foot guest house that's packed . jim

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

After going to the Gym since Aug. of this year I noticed something pleasant last night, no lower back pain that I had all of last year after I quit the Gym. Best $10 bucks a month I have ever spent getting better.

danbrennan and biker like this.