Ghosting on my new LED TV

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CamaroMan79, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do what Johnny has said.
    Could be a connector, could be a loose or bad connection.

What you should do id draw the layout of your cable.
    From tap point outside, to ground block at the house,
    To any splitters, to each leg of the splitters final location.

Write down the splitter dbmv signal loss PER leg.
    Any amps, write down that signal gain. You can determine
    Your own wirings loss per leg before the tech gets there.
    It will help you understand it and save you $$$ in the future.

Have the tech write down tap value and ground block on the paperwork.
    They were supposed to back when I did it ages ago.
    Once he gives you that, he can determine if the drop cable
    Is good, or bad, and you can do the signal loss per leg....plus cable length loss

2. JOHNNYMO

JOHNNYMO Veteran Member

If the problem is common to all TV's then its more than likely between the tap port and the house amp. I would bet on the drop cable itself. It takes the most abuse from heat/cold temperature variations as well as movement from wind if its ariel. Also animal chews are pretty common as well. Squirrels are a PIA around here. Hopefully you get a good tech who wants to find the problem. If he does his job, he will.

3. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

When you hook up with RCA you have to change the source on the TV. if you havent done that.

If your gonna buy cables. And you have a couple days. Check out monoprice.com. Never buy them from walmart or the shack unless your in a BIG RUSH. You get screwed on price every time.

I rewired my whole house when we moved in 7 years ago, cable and ethernet, for the price of one cable from walmart. The have very good cables too. Pretty sure ACE has mentioned them before also. Could be mistaken. I been away from the site for abit.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Could be non shielded coax also.

5. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Alright well Charter is coming out.

I unhooked the cable that comes into the basement and goes to the signal booster, and hooked the line directly into my TV with no change in the ghosting.

(It wasn't easy either, since the siginal booster is on the side of a steep set of basement stairs. I had to hold the flat screen with 1 arm and hook the cable up with the other. Only had about 8" of cable to work with.)

I hope it isn't the section of the cable that comes into the basement and hooks to the booster because that is all up underneath the plywood ceiling.

The cable comes off the utility pole into a box up on the eve of the side of my house. The line comes out of the box travels across the eve to the front of the house then drops down to just above the windows in the front then travels across 2/3 of the front of the house, then drops down about 8ft and goes into the basement.

Charter redid all of that about 3 years ago, because I was having problem with my cable internet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I had comcast,I had them come all the time to clear up the picture.Nothing they did ever helped.They would change out the splitters,nothing.
    Then,I got the one good guy.I was too long of a run from the street for the regular size cable.They ran a new heavier cable,with a thick backer,and it solved the problem.
    Something about I should have a 17(signal strength) at the house before it entered,and I had 2-3.Plus,the signal gets weaker the more you split it up.
    One good reason for fios anyway,their signal comes in hot and it has to get knocked down,as opposed to the cable.

7. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

I have to get my splitters changed about every 2 years or so. they just go bad for some reason. At least that all they change and poo works tons better afterwords

8. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

High humidty area?Ive only noticed they loosen up after awhile,and I have to retighten.

9. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

high humidity is an understatement... the delta about 10 miles from the mississippi river if that far.

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think this now shows that your cable provider is at fault. The signal they provide to the house is degraded and they need to trace the line issue and fix it. Good luck.