Glass install before/after paint question...

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
The glass is out of my 72 Z right now but the car needs painting. I can't afford to paint the car right now so was considering installing front and rear glass so I can at least drive the car for now. If I'm gonna remove it in the next year or two is this a bad idea as far as removal to paint then reinstall? Is it not a big deal except being a PITA? If I do it should I do urethene or butyl tape if its coming right back out in the near future? Just need some opinions on this, thanks!

GoldenOne7710

Equal Opportunity Offender
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 23, 2004
Athens, GA
What condition are the channels in?

Ideally, I'd rather wait until the car is painted before the glass is installed...but that's just me.

As far as what to use to set it...urethane > butyl in nearly every aspect.

Romney Mawhorter

70½ Z/28 RS, M21, 4.10, 65k/71 Restomod SS396
Feb 21, 2021
Southern California
If it's a year or 2 and you want to drive the car, put the windows in. They're relatively easy to take out and new stripping is cheap. Your painter can also take them out and put back in (with new rubber) if you want to give him that responsibility.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
There's no reason you can't have the car painted with the front and rear windows installed.
Just make sure the channels are all clean and solid before it's sealed into place so it doesn't need to be removed again.

Then... Remove the trim and mask the glass when doing the paint prep work (welding/sanding/priming etc.) anywhere near the new glass.

Good Luck with your project!

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
Just FYI a car buddy of mine owns auto glass shop. I asked him about removing front and rear glass for paint. He said there is no chance he would agree to removing glass and taking it out in one piece. Really hit and miss. As said above just make sure the window channel is prepped and then covered during the paint process if you install the glass ahead of time.

Romney Mawhorter

70½ Z/28 RS, M21, 4.10, 65k/71 Restomod SS396
Feb 21, 2021
Southern California
I am no glass install expert nor have a ton of experience but the 4 times I have removed glass I never broke one. Why a body and paint shop would tell you he can't remove glass just means get a new body shop.

The issue is the paint under the window. Painting it a color is nice, but at minimum it should have primer or powder coat to prevent rust. If you are down to metal how do you protect it? If you look down through the back window, how do you get paint on the rolled metal at the bottom of the window from inside the car? You don't. Take the windows out. A new set even if you break them is less than a car payment.

DougD

Veteran Member
Dec 2, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I am no glass install expert nor have a ton of experience but the 4 times I have removed glass I never broke one. Why a body and paint shop would tell you he can't remove glass just means get a new body shop.

I don't think he is saying he won't do it, just that in experience older glass can be fragile and he would rather not do it for the risk. I have removed glass in a vehicle as old as 1937 (in the 80's) and had no issue, but that doesn't always mean everyone will be so successful.

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
The channels are all good but the car is currently Midnight Bronze and I'm strongly considering going Mulsanne Blue instead so the channels would still be bronze and not blue if I have it painted with the glass in. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as you can't see the bronze b/c of the trim???