Glass Polishing

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Canadian Barton, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Spent about 30 minutes on the glass with cerium oxide paste? And felt pad on my DA. Played around a little bit. Seems to be making some progress but I should look up how to mix this stuff and what speeds I should be polishing at. Couple progress pics.

started with
    1B9830C9-2CE2-41D8-BFAF-7ABF5E619FF7.jpeg

First attempt
    3A1FA99F-90BC-476A-9B2F-1E175D298821.jpeg

Second attempt
    2759466D-85C5-4707-A146-70F38D83EDF5.jpeg

Not really close to being good but getting better. Will research some more and see where we get too.

2. wpatterson9

wpatterson9 Member

Good progress! Do you have any pics of how deep the scratches were before you started?

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Out of my fisher body service manual.

20210126_075016.jpg 20210126_075035.jpg

4. Canadian Barton

Bandit, this is awesome!

WPatterson, I did not take a picture before I started because I am horrible at documenting things. It was bad, I could catch my nail on them easily. Once I pull the other piece out of storage I will document from the start. This one is my guinea pig.

I did some more research last night and found some good info. The youtube video below is very similar to the process I've used. I think I'll switch from the DA polisher to my 7" polisher as I don't think the DA is aggressive enough. There was another tip to keep a spray bottle of warm water so you can keep the cerium mixture wet as you go. I think my mix was a little light as well but I didn't want to start to aggressive. I've read 2 parts cerium to 1 part water, I was more 1:2 so I will mix a little heavier.

I have also purchased some Ceriglass that I forgot about, once I find it I'll give it a try to see how it compares. I'm not sure how aggressive it is and may just be for the final polish step/

[​IMG]

5. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The amount of force and heat it would take to get rid of scratches makes the glass worthless.

6. Canadian Barton

I'm not sure where you are getting that info from? Glass is polished all the time but it doesn't weaken it, at least from all the information I have read. In actuality, a scratch on a piece of glass can be called a stress point. Polishing removes the stress point creating a structurally sound piece of glass.

Zstar likes this.
  7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I doubt that even aggressive polishing of glass gets it even close to hot enough to do damage. What's the difference between polishing and hot summer sun beating down on the glass? I think auto glass is tempered at something like 600deg?

Zstar and Canadian Barton like this.
  8. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

CB, that looks great! You are way braver than I am.

9. Tristan65

Tristan65 New Member

Try using a rotary with rayon pad instead of a DA. More efficient but be careful with the temp.

10. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had good luck with (pre-mixed) cerium oxide past and wool felt pads at low speeds (i.e. using an electric paint buffer with an offset rotation instead of a DA sander)- best example was an old cop car where the wiper blade rubber obviously broke off the bottom half of the frame and of course the constables on board let the wipers operate for hours like this- damage was at the bottom edge in a roughly 6" x 6" area- and was bad- i.e. deepest gouges were almost 1/16". The deep gouges I could only get out about halfway, but everything shallower than this came out with about an hour of polishing (with regular washing off the pad and replenishing the paste).

Tristan65 likes this.