Glory Days - 1971 project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by G2Racing, Jul 16, 2014.

1. SOD

SOD Veteran Member

Very nice ride!

2. G2Racing

G2Racing New Member

Step 1: Operation Get Her Home

When we last left my '71 Camaro she was sitting the driveway of my parents house because she was unable to hold an idle when I stopped the car. This makes it particularly hard and somewhat entertaining to drive.

The Quadrajet was literally pumping fuel out of the top of carb so I went and picked up a 650cfm double pumper I used to run on a crate motor I had for my Late Model and stopped by Speed Unlimited for gaskets, spacer, studs, clamps, and a little fuel line for a total of about $60.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out with the old, and in with the new(er). I had to drill out the air cleaner to make the thicker stud work, and relocate the throttle spring, but it was all easy, pleasurable stuff to do.

The car seemed to like the change and drove much much better on the way home. Tomorrow I have a guy coming to buy the 327 out of it and I've found a 396 in Roanoke that's destined for the car.

I plan to remove the front bumper tomorrow and am hoping to find split bumpers for less than $200.00.

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome aboard. Nice car too! Sounds like you've got good plans for the car. Keep us posted.

4. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice. Welcome. You must be good at pulling engines if this will be your daily driver. It sounds as though you are though. Welcome.

5. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very nice and welcome to the site!

6. G2Racing

G2Racing New Member

Motor Sold, Front Bumper Removed

Good start to the day today, I removed the front bumper from the car and took a deposit on the 327. I think she looks better already.

[​IMG]

7. G2Racing

G2Racing New Member

The 327 is just about ready to come out

I spent an hour or two today getting the motor ready to come out of the car. The part that I am least familiar with is the manual clutch bar linkage, but I took enough pictures I'm sure I can get it back in place when then new motor goes in.

The hood is off, to be replaced by a 2.75 cowl induction steel hood.

[​IMG]

The motor will come out next Saturday morning and then I'm going to trailer the car to Bobby Creech's shop in Richmond where my plan is to make an affordable tube front clip for it. I plan to mount a Mustang II rack and pinion and make nice sway-bar mounts on the chassis to update the front end. When I do this, I'm also going to lower the front of the car 2-2.5" by throwing a set of NASCAR big springs I have into it. I'm hoping to do this for <$2500 which is about 1/2 of a Heidt or Alston set up. We'll see how it turns out.

8. G2Racing

G2Racing New Member

Motor's out...

Got up this morning and pulled the motor and trans. After thouroughly inspecting the front suspension and steering linkage this appears to be the part of the car in the worst condition, so replacing the front clip with a tube front clip and rack and pinion steering is next on the list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. G2Racing

G2Racing New Member

Here's a quick project update

It's been a while since I last posted on here. When I got the car the worst part of the whole thing was the front clip that looked like it had been sitting on the ground for a while. With that in mind I asked one of the NASCAR chassis builders that I've worked with in the past to create me a tube front clip that would as nice as an Alston but at a fraction of the cost. Here's what we came up with for 1/2 the price of an Alston clip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had KT Engines in Concord, NC build a 572 for it and now I'm in the process of ordering the parts required to install a T-56 in it. Then onto mini-tubs, 9" rear conversion and new brake system.

10. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Right on! Gonna be awesome.