GM "Update" for Your 4-pin HEI distributor

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
We all know the GM 4-pin HEI (mid-seventies thru early-eighties and universal performance favorite). We also know it's near dead-nutz reliable; but that their modules occasionally fail and that's often attributed to it becoming overheated. Of course we also know to ensure the module is installed with a good heat transfer/thermal paste (such as Arctic Silver) between it and its mount pad on distributor base. We know how heat is mortal enemy of most electronic circuits; and that reducing heat can often extend electronics' useful life. Well ...

Years ago, GM removed the module from inside-on that very hot distributor housing and mounted it (and coil) remotely.

You can easily relocate Your old module as well... where it'll run much cooler.
Ignition Control Module Heat Sink GM pn 10474610 (trucks 94-2004) < $12 @ RA
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/acdelco,10474610,ignition+control+module+heat+sink,11323

drill new holes in new heat sink to fit Your 4-pin module, bracket it atop motor or on firewall etc, extend-sleeve your pickup & coil wires, mount Your module to new heat sink w/ thermal paste.

10474610_Primary__ra_p.jpg

:bowtie:

Last edited:

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
We all know the GM 4-pin HEI (mid-seventies thru early-eighties and universal performance favorite). We also know it's near dead-nutz reliable; but that their modules occasionally fail and that's often attributed to it becoming overheated. Of course we also know to ensure the module is installed with a good heat transfer/thermal paste (such as Arctic Silver) between it and its mount pad on distributor base. We know how heat is mortal enemy of most electronic circuits; and that reducing heat can often extend electronics' useful life. Well ...

Years ago, GM removed the module from inside-on that very hot distributor housing and mounted it (and coil) remotely.

You can easily relocate Your old module as well... where it'll run much cooler.
Ignition Control Module Heat Sink GM pn 12691673 (trucks 94-2004) < $12 @ RA
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ition,ignition+control+module+heat+sink,11323

drill new holes in new heat sink to fit Your 4-pin module, bracket it atop motor or on firewall etc, extend-sleeve your pickup & coil wires, mount Your module to new heat sink w/ thermal paste.

10474610_Primary__ra_p.jpg

:bowtie:
Thanks for this! Definitely will do the mod when car is out of storage jail. Soon I hope.

cadillac_al

Veteran Member
Apr 22, 2015
Maine
do NOTE the difference between THERMAL paste and Dielectric grease!!!! NOT the same.

Funny thing is, I have never bought a module that didn't come with dialectic grease. I wonder why the manufacturer doesn't give us thermal paste?

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
Funny thing is, I have never bought a module that didn't come with dialectic grease. I wonder why the manufacturer doesn't give us thermal paste?
the grease is used on the connections and the paste under the module, wouldnt the connections be more of a longer issue to be concerned with? just askin?

Latest posts