GMPP 383 short block: would you pay $1,000 more for made in USA?

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
The p/n changed and the price just went up from $4,400 to $5,400. Apparently Summit is still showing the $4,400 version (thanks @ULTM8Z). Assuming they can still get that one, and ASSUMING it’s because the newer p/n is made in the USA (didn’t they recently move production back to the USA?) - do you think it’s worth paying more for the Made in ‘merica version?

Last edited:

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I will respond, hoping not to be torched by others but my answer is no. If the other manufacturing facility is Mexico, I have seen numerous Targetmaster engines last for thousands of miles with no issues. If the warranty is the same, keep the $1000 for other items.
DSC06037.JPG

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I would rather have USA or Canada castings for sure, and would pay the extra bucks for that. I'm thinking the new casting processes would eliminate core shift, porosity, and the metallurgy would be improved.

Core shift:

core shift.jpg

Last edited:

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
If you aren't willing to pay more for a USA made product, you don't get to complain about a lack of manufacturing jobs
There's that too. I live in a town with a pretty large foundry, hard hot filthy work - but a real job with wages, benefits.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Tom, I've heard of core shift, but not sure exactly how it show up. In the pic, is it - lifter bores are not centered?
The lifter bores are a good indication of the core shift in the small blocks, but the real problem is the cylinder wall thicknesses and the bearing areas. Good enough for hauling groceries but can sure cause problems under stress.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
The p/n changed and the price just went up from $4,400 to $5,400. Apparently Summit is still showing the $4,400 version (thanks @ULTM8Z). Assuming they can still get that one, and ASSUMING it’s because the newer p/n is made in the USA (didn’t they recently move production back to the USA?) - do you think it’s worth paying more for the Made in ‘merica version?

Like mentioned, perhaps one of the reasons for the price hike is due to the shift to US production, and last spring, GM switched to steel cranks for one of their more popular Crates, the 602, that is required in many race sanctions across the US and Canada.

I will respond, hoping not to be torched by others but my answer is no. If the other manufacturing facility is Mexico, I have seen numerous Targetmaster engines last for thousands of miles with no issues. If the warranty is the same, keep the $1000 for other items.

Agree X2^^ I've seen 100's of Mexican crates take a beating for years/decades...no way they should of lasted that long. Nothing wrong with them. Last year, some of the "new" US crates were lasting only a few laps, some did not last on the dyno, some never got unbolted out of the crate as there was no oil pressure.....all fixed now.....but the price grew $1,000+, somebody's got to pay for those warranties LOL. Basic truck engine does not need a steel crank to live....so no idea why they did that.

Latest posts