GM's new elctric motors

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SPG, Sep 17, 2020.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

You can actually recycle a battery pretty effectively. The issue is actually making people recycle them properly. When a battery dies the only materials that aren't terribly useful is the plastic...and that's just an issue we have in general. Not battery specific

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

More so than continuing to demand gasoline or diesel that takes you the same distance? I don't think so. We don't pay the true full cost of gasoline at the pump, so there's that.
    This isn't really a "both ways" or "all or none" kind of decision, IMO. What is the best way forward overall? Every path will have drawbacks, can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    Not sure. I can hoist a WAG, though- It was heavily subsidized by the Fed. Oak Ridge, Hanford, Savannah River, TVA, etc... the industry got lots of support. All that Uranium being produced and enriched for weapons (we peaked in '68, IIRC), might as well use it for something, right? Now we're into the "you need to stand on your own phase." But I suppose that just deals with materials cost. On the labor side- I'm betting there's not a damn pro on that site making less than six figures. Welders, inspectors, foremen, architects, engineers, etc... Imagine every single weld being X-ray'd. Every single system and subsystem certified and signed off at every step of the process. Tests, retests, more tests. MONEY MONEY MONEY.
    Which is fine, so long as we want to pay for it. That's the question- do we? France seems to be moving forward on plans to reduce nuclear as their total share of grid supply going forward. They have more experience with this than anyone, so why are they doing it.
    I hear you on Germany, but they built out a lot of their infrastructure much earlier on the cost curve. Solar has dropped RIDICULOUSLY at both the residential and especially the utility scale. Wind dropping greatly as well. The costs of development were borne on their backs in many ways, the rest of the world gets the benefit.:) Germany is also being stupid about shutting down nuclear before coal, but that's another subject, I guess.

So Dan, from my point earlier on the Ultium setups they showed- why is GM shying away from EV-optimized powertrain design?

3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't really get into the mechanical packaging of our powertrains much, I'm buried pretty deep in the controls algorithms and software area. We're very sensitive to cost, of course; more so than Tesla, I would think. I imagine that until BEVs really take off, and our volumes really start to tick up, we're not willing to absorb the cost of hard tooling fully optimized designs. But it's not really my area.

4. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, I`m late to the conversation. So I can`t add much. Remember how E-85 was our savior? The big 3 had dual fuel vehicles. Mostly government give ins, bending over, etc. E-85 is great for horsepower but kills the fuel mileage, had a duel fuel Silverado and my son had an E-85 powered, big turbo 1200 hp 2002 Camaro that ran 8.50`s street legal. In the area that I live CNG is readily available. Several municipalities run their vehicles powered by CNG. I know that the cost of conversion is high, but the engine life is greatly expanded. I have several friends that work for the cities and that`s what they have found especially in the police/fire/service vehicles that have a lot of idle hours. Electric powered just doesn`t sell much in this area as oil/gas is plentiful.