Go Pro Cams.......

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by MagicRatt, Aug 25, 2020.

1. MagicRatt

MagicRatt Veteran Member

Any you guys out there have a favorite cam for video? I am looking to get some action vids at the track. Possibly a windshield mount or dash mounted. Don't have to be go pro if you have another fav........

Rich

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I got a dash cam from Walmart last winter for 8 bucks. Could read a license plate number from the car in front at a red light. Be pretty decent for fooling around, not much for a pro video I suppose.

3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know much about dash cams, but I read through this site a couple of years ago before I bought my wife one for Christmas. I ended up going with a BlackVue model(I forget which one), which she's been happy with. I had bought a TomTom before that, but the original and a replacement couldn't take the summer heat in the car.

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blog/dont-use-a-gopro-as-a-dash-cam-heres-why/

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

For long video, more than a minute or so, GoPro is the best choice without going really pricey.

5. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I have a go pro that works great. Just don't get to use it enough!

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I don't know about now, but my GoPro came with two cases. One waterproof and one with openings for sound. I had it mounted on my bike and did a Banzai run and the fish eye perspective really made you think you were going faster than you were. I think I hit 125 or so before traffic slowed me and on the highway you were right there and on a curvy road, kids got car sick. Especially when I played the tape back on a large screen TV.

7. MagicRatt

MagicRatt Veteran Member

I was a little confused with the numbers go pro uses. They have a 5,6,7, and 8. After getting some info on them, I guess the "7 black" is best suited for some 1/4 mile blasts.
    Thanks for the replies!!

Rich

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I use an old Hero gopro that I got like ages ago and it works pretty well. I bought a 2nd one for $50 used and then when I went to update it the sucker bricked on me and the only way I can get it to work is if I put it in the freezer for a while (don't laugh it did power up). I also have a newer Hero + but it sucks big time and I got it for the wi-fi mode that works like crap. Keeping my eyes open for a Hero 7 black used for a good price.

9. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've got a few of them. One is an original ancient "hero" that still works fine. I got a Hero+ LCD pretty cheap on Amazon that I use the most (you can see the POV you're shooting from the LCD). I also have a "Session" that is nice cause it's tiny (only about the size of the lens).

The "Hero #" cameras tend to be big money. They come with wifi and GPS and all sorts of stuff you probably don't need. The "Hero +" that I got is basically a stripped down model, but it's under $200. Best bang for the buck IMO.

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I use an old cell phone for a dash cam. The cameras on these things now days are pretty good. Installed a 32mb memory card and it will store a whole lot of HD quality footage. I modified the case/belt holster to fit a bracket I can mount to the dash or windshield.

tom3 likes this.