Going for it

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Mz28att, Jun 25, 2006.

1. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

husky72 - haven't done this yet to my 71, but have the dash and console and plan on taking on this project during the winter.

Go with the Firebird/TA interior...

For more info on this swap, check out a couple of links in my signature (4th Gen Dash Swap and Extreme Firebird).

2. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Oh yeah, in my link to my Car Domain site (page 3) there are some pics of an interior swap. 73 Camaro with a 94 Camaro. That might give you something to compare the look of the TA interior versus the Camaro.

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Veteran Member

I've done the leather buckets and the seats, not hard at all.

4. husky72

husky72 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good pic. Thanks! You are right the T/A dash is better.

5. LTjames

LTjames Veteran Member

That 4th gen dash swap is clean! looks awesome

6. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Just checking up on an old forum string - Matt, any updates? How's life with the 4th gen dash treating you? Bought my dash, console and seat belts...just need to save up for gauges and install them all. Seats to come later.

Got any recent pics? Also, what did you do about the pillars on each side of the dash? I was considering buying a used pair off ebay, and doing a bit of custom work combining my 71 pillars with the 4th gen bottoms...

7. Mz28att

Mz28att Veteran Member

Sorry guys, I have nothing new to report. I've returned home since my long term evacuation. The car is still in Memphis. I however am back in Slidell. I'm going to make a real strong effort to have the car in a semi-finished state for Cruisin' the Coast in Mississippi this year. Wish me luck.

MaTt

8. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

No problem MaTt. Just keep us posted when you do get back to it. Looking forward to doing this myself. Just need to save up for those gauges....

Do you like those Ultralight gauges? I was considering getting the Designer Black but like the way yours looks too...

Glad to hear that the headlight switch was easy enough to tackle, but still interested in seeing what you ended up doing with the wiper switch. I was considering installing a 4th gen steering column too (for the tilt as well as the wiper switch) but noticed you have a switch below the healight switch and wondering if I have the same on my 02 dash... could that be used for the wipers??

Also interested in seeing how Shortbed's dash turned out. Would love to see how you guys handle the pillar arm differences. I'm going to try to fab something, but would be a lot easier is someone has already been there and done that ;)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm going to start this swap at the end of the month. I'm going to install a third gen column so the wipers will be where they should be. I'll be sure to take pictures and try to give a heads up on the install. The dash I bought was already fitted to a second Gen car so I'm already ahead. I'm sweating the pillars a bit but we'll give it a go and see what happens.

10. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Take lots of photos Knuckle Dragger, and provide as much info as possible. I think the pillars will be easy enough to fab - after a little trial and error..