Going for it

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Mz28att, Jun 25, 2006.

1. CCorne1

CCorne1 Veteran Member

Have you started this project yet Dave? You also going to throw in the 4th gen console?

I have an auto shifter and was thinking about installing the 4th gen shifter to avoid clearance issues with the new console.. Anyone done this - have suggestions/advice on swapping in the actual shifter assembly? Thinking about the emergency brake pull too.

2. BrianMassie

BrianMassie Veteran Member

If you can weld, you can install a 4th gen console for an automatic. I used the rear bracket on the floor board and lined up the driver side hole of the bracket with the driver side hole of the console. I drew some lines on the floor so I would know what straight was. I used bolts and welded them to the transtunnel facing up to act as studs. I only did three, both front bolts and pass rear bolt for the shifter, and bent the ear down on the driver rear and used a bolt with a nut to get the flex out of the shifter. I used a magnetic level (on the side of the shifter) to let me know where 90 degrees was so it would be level. Works great. I did go ahead and weld in the E-brake bracket though, as the tunnel isn't really wide enough to properly support using studs to mount the handle for where it needs to go. The hole for the cable had to be relocated about 1.5" towards the driver's side so that there wouldn't be any kind of bind. I haven't done the E-brake cables yet as the rear hasn't been installed yet, but that can't be too hard either. There was no trimming required, though it doesn't look quite right under the rear cupholders (the arc of the console is larger than the tunnel) but that is not a real concern for me. It worked great.

3. HRHohio

HRHohio New Member

Any updates on how this went?