Good head gaskets for aluminum?

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Can i get a recommendation for a quality composite head gasket for aluminum heads on an OEM block?

This is for a mild NA street 355 sbc I'm building. Just got the new Eddy E-Street heads in the mail and cleaned up all the old head bolts, realized I probably shouldn't use the stock replacements that came in my gasket set because they were most likely designed for iron heads.

it's a gen I 350 sb with 4.030" bores.

Thinking about these felpro performance gaskets.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1010/

CR would be at 9.82:1 with these and the 64cc eddies:happy:

:bowtie:

cmonson

Veteran Member
Apr 7, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
How far is your piston below deck. If close to .025 then felpro 1094 are a great choice. I just used 1094s on a eddy rpm head build and so far so good.

Get your quench to .040 as close as you can. 1094 is a .015 shim.

hhott71

R.I.P 11/19/18
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 30, 2001
Joplin Mo. 64801
bitchin'71SS said:
Can i get a recommendation for a quality composite head gasket for aluminum heads on an OEM block?

This is for a mild NA street 355 sbc I'm building. Just got the new Eddy E-Street heads in the mail and cleaned up all the old head bolts, realized I probably shouldn't use the stock replacements that came in my gasket set because they were most likely designed for iron heads.

it's a gen I 350 sb with 4.030" bores.

Thinking about these felpro performance gaskets.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1010/

CR would be at 9.82:1 with these and the 64cc eddies:happy:

:bowtie:

The Felpro 1094 works just fine with aluminum heads and stock deck height cast iron SBC block.

You will need hardened washers under the headbolts, they are aprox 1/8" thick.

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
It didn't even cross my mind actually, thanks guys. I'll pick up some of those, is that something i could get grade 8 at the hardware store or would I be better off getting from a speed shop?

Would the 1/8" washers require new bolts that are 1/8 longer than stock? I was hoping to re-use the original bolts since I already cleaned them all up..

0615111234a.jpg

If I have to I'll get new aftermarket bolts but they're $$

Damon

Veteran Member
Nov 16, 2000
Philly area
Buy an aftermarket set. Doesn't need to be an expensive aftermarket set either. Get the ones with undersized 6 or 12 point heads. They work best- aftermarket aluminum heads often have a few bolts you can't get to with a full size 5/8" socket like a stock head bolt uses. And almost all aftermarket head bolt sets come with anti-gall washers like aluminum heads need. Trust me.

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Yeah, it looks like I'll be getting new bolts. ARP #134-3601

I measured the deck clearance at TDC with my vernier caliper, it was between .025 and .030 wherever I checked. So if ideal quench is .040" that 1094 .015" felpro should work perfectly. Thanks for the recommendations guys.:bowtie:

Also, that brings the static compression up to 10.4:1, which is pretty awesome but I don't really want to go any higher than that on this engine.

Latest posts