Good junkyards?

Discussion in 'Nebraska Camaro Club' started by Travisty, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Travisty

Travisty Veteran Member

Anyone know of any good junkyards in the Omaha area? I know of the two U-Pull-It's but I never see anything like 2nd gen trans ams or such at either. Anything in the Lincoln area thats worth the drive down? Thanks.

<><
    Travis

2. yellowcamaro

yellowcamaro Veteran Member

I live in Lincoln but I have yet to visit a junk yard... (Something I should do this summer) BUT I have been to a rather large yard in Sumner. It is a couple miles northwest of Kearney. Here is a link to a map: http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Sumner&state=NE&slt=40.945599&sln=-99.523499&name=&zip=&country=us&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=3&desc=&cs=7&newmag=5&poititle=&po i=

I know of a great F-body junk yard in Mccook but I have not been there for a few years.

YellowCamaro

[This message has been edited by yellowcamaro (edited 04-05-2001).]

3. Travisty

Travisty Veteran Member

Thanks, both McCook and Sumner are a ways away. Yahoo maps says at least 4 hours. Is the F-Body one in McCook good enough to justify 4 hours or more to get there? I'm hoping to find a set of Trans Am sway bars and I really doubt the ones in Omaha will have them. I think I've only seen one or two f-bodies there the last few times I've been. Whats the name of the yard in McCook? Thanks.

<><
    Travis

4. 72Heaven

72Heaven Veteran Member

A longer drive but there's a local yard here in Topeka, Kansas that has a completely stripped T/A except for a complete set of WS6 swaybars with brackets/mounts and the rear end housing (no gears/posi housing only)

5. Travisty

Travisty Veteran Member

Yeah that is quite a bit longer drive. Think that Trans Am will stick around to late summer? lol I might be going down to Topeka then with some friends for a Porche club road race thing.

<><
    Travis

6. yellowcamaro

The McCook yard is actually a guys back yard. He has around 10 Camaros (last time I was there) and a barn full of parts. I don't know if I saw an T/A on the lot. I did see a nice looking 69 and a 70 Z. (which makes me think I need to visit him again and try to get the 70 from him!)

7. 72Heaven

72Heaven Veteran Member

Yeah, I bet it'll still be there, it's SO far gone that I doubt anyone even looks at it, you coming down for the big SCCA nationals? it's actually not that far from Heartland Park, There's another yard that had a WS6 car but I already robbed the rear bar... If ya wanna grab the bars I'd suggest a blue wrench 'cause it's been sitting for YEARS, I don't have one or I'd grab them myself... Yellow Camaro, so WHERE is this McCook yard? No reason [​IMG] [​IMG] I wouldn't mind adding a 70Z... he he he!

8. yellowcamaro

The yard is located 5000 paces east of the old tree stump in Barnett park. Then 4000 paces south. Turn around 3 times and click your heels while saying "There's nothing like a 70 Z. There's nothing like a 70 z. There's nothing like a 70 Z."

[​IMG]

9. Travisty

Travisty Veteran Member

72Heaven, I know what you mean, I don't have a "blue wrench" either, guess I'll have to hope that the local yards will have something decent.

<><
    Travis

10. Travisty

Travisty Veteran Member

Just an update, I did find a set of swaybars at the U-Pull-It in downtown Omaha. I got them off an 81 Trans-Am with the turbo 231 V6. They weren't the 1 1/4" and 7/8" bars, but they're pretty close at 1 1/8" front and 3/4" rear. I couldn't believe the difference they made in the handling of the car. There's hardly any body roll anymore!

<><
    Travis