good lake or pond around Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by 79camaro2001, May 27, 2010.

1. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anyone got a recommendation for a lake or pond to do some bass fishing this weekend. I know with memorial weekend it might be packed at the bigger lakes so I want to avoid BIG lakes and focus on smaller lakes and ponds.

Preferably with some bank fishing as I don't have a boat with me.

2. INSPECTOR57

INSPECTOR57 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not very familiar with ponds/lakes in the OKC area except for Hefner & Thunderbird. Like you said, they will full this weekend.

I have had a lot of fun with an light spinning rod in the larger creeks. I'm a Bridge Inspector by trade, there are some good looking holes under most of the bridges over Deep Fork Creek east of Lincoln Blvd. I've seen some nice sized bass fairly often in there. This time of year you may also have a catfish hit your lure.

You're welcome to come to Stillwater & fish my mossy pond. Not very big but it does have some decent bass, the son caught a 3 pounder last night. The same night I caught a 5lb channel cat on a crappie jig - now that was FUN .

3. 79camaro2001

tempted to head to Stillwater.

A guy at work is suppose to tell me how to get to a good size pond that's south of American Horse Lake. We will see if i get the directions.

4. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you head to stillwater better hit boomer lake too. I have caught some PIGS in there over the years.

Usually most of the small city lakes around here...say under 200 acres or so are honey holes. Pawnee lake northeast of stillwater is a good place to catch big bass too. Im not a real big fan of it just because it dosent have the structure in it that I like to fish, but you cant argue with the dozens of big bass that are caught there every year.

Also CCC lake here south of perry is a nice little lake and is very productive. I used to fish it a couple times a week and have caught some very nice fish out of there.

5. INSPECTOR57

Big +1 on Boomer Lake!

I grew up on that lake. Even before they rebuilt it there were good fish to be had. I caught a 21lb flathead there when I was 17.

I will also mention McMurtry Lake (between Perry & Stillwater). Even though there will be a lot of folks out they don't allow jet skiing OR regular skiing. It's a nice clear lake with bass & walleye. Only downfall is you really need a boat (& a City permit).

I can walk to the lake from my house :)

6. 79camaro2001

Stanley Daper Lake is really low.

Might hit up Thunderhead Lake since i got a city permit right now.

We will see if that does any good, if not I got a lead on some smaller lake/pond off of I-240.

7. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Edwards Park Pond 15th and Bryant... Awsome fishing!

5 min from my house too.. LOL

8. INSPECTOR57

That sounds like a good plan - especially after I found this guy outside my house yesterday.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

To top it off I saw (but didn't get killed!!) a copperhead out near the pond 2 weeks ago.