Good thing we don’t have a lot of chrome

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72BIGBLOCK, May 4, 2021.

1. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

2. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's hard even around me in Michigan to find local chrome plating services. I had the rear bumper on my 442 replated about 15 years ago at a place in Lansing, and they did a good job, but a few years later the business burned to the ground. When I read the story, they had been having trouble with Michigan's Department of Environmental Quality about contamination of the land around their business. It was right across from an old Oldsmobile assembly plant(I think that's what it was), and I think MDEQ was expecting them to clean up a lot of stuff left over from the assembly operations.

I wonder why trivalent chrome is smoky. Chrome is generally clear, the color comes from the nickel underneath it.

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

They already have 97% containment and are well under the max allowed levels. Maybe CARB should concentrate on even better containment rather than a full ban and putting people out of business?
    It is California though. They are brutal once they get their mind set on stuff like this.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

EH - there are a lot of other, cleaner, and more durable ways to get a chrome finish these days.
    Here's a guy doing it in a kitchen oven in 2011

5. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Is powder coat more durable than chrome?

6. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry if I sound cynical, but let's just say the EPA bans hexavalent chromium plating in the US...what happens and what will the end result be? Chrome plating will just be shifted to a region that does not ban the process...so what are they really accomplishing as far as carcinogens in our atmosphere?

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm so glad I'm moving out of California , this state is getting more stupid by the minute . They also are banning all new gas powered lawn and yard equipment by 2024

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Powder coating is absolutely more stout than Chrome. Mind you there are a lot of different powder coating processes. I haven't seen a new chrome outdoor stair-railing in at least 2 decades. It's because the powder coating is cheaper and tougher.

l16 - I get what you're saying, but with chrome falling out of use, there's really no reason to think we'll see an uptick in demand by offshoring it.
    Let's face it, Chrome is an industrial-chemical process, and like many other chemical processes, it's being replaced by something that's better. No one mourns for old-school bake-a-lite.

berg2695 likes this.
  9. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

I commented on the Hemmings thread when I read it that: 1. CA is nuts. 2. They wouild do alot more good regulating China (at all) than attempting to over-regulate anywhere in the US.

10. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lowend - I wasn't suggesting there would be an uptick in demand...just a geographical shift of where the plating process occurs. And if it goes offshore or down South, imagine the lack of emission controls and the amount of crud entering the atmosphere. In the early thru late 2000s, I traveled frequently throughout China on business. Quite a reality check when you walk off the plane and your eyes start burning and it's hard to catch your breath. India was even worse. So, even if the US, Canada and the EU reduce emissions to significantly lower levels, is it enough to overcome the heavy pollutants spewed into the atmosphere everywhere else by simply shifting the point of production?

dinograz, xten and Dave Nelson like this.