Goodbye to the Camaro

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Lowend, Jun 25, 2019.

1. younda

younda Veteran Member

I liked the car until I sat in one. I'm guess if I were about 5'-6" I would have liked the interior.

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If the same single story is picked up and reported on multiple websites does that suddenly make it true?

Crash regulations don't allow new cars to look like old cars. that's why belt lines are so high now. The trade off is looks for safety. Belt line in the camaro is more noticeable because the roofline is low.

The Champ and carr911 like this.
  4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the lovers actually bought more Camaro's this wouldn't be a debate.

RE roofline and beltline. This is what kills me about both the 5th-6th gen cars. They are on the same platform as the Caddy ATS, which looks great and has good visibility (but doesn't get the V8).
    The 6th gen Camaro could have been a truly great car, GM chose to got with styling over functionality

72BIGBLOCK and Shizzle like this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Maybe this is just a tactic to get sales up. I’ll admit the news did have me looking in Chevys webpage at what a new one would cost.

The prices are just stupid! It’s just a name. I have sat in other cars with the same luxuries and it’s the same stuff! The only real difference is the drivetrain and shapes/curves of the metal on the outside of the car. Why does that need to cost $60k! That’s why I have a Dodge truck instead of the Chevy. Chevy just charges too much money!

On another note...a retro 70-73 car would be hideous!

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

The same thing was said about the 2nd gens when they first came out. A review (believe it was Car and Driver) on my 69 Z called the back seat "a birth control device". Most pony cars were not practical.
    Too expensive for some of us that like them. Just can't justify it.

The belt line doesn't just look high, it is. Paint a door on one and get back to me.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

At the Nationals this past weekend the overall majority of cars on the show field were 5th and 6th gens, seems to me they are very popular.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The difference is the practicality wouldn’t be a concern if they weren’t so expensive. With the cost, most of us would use this car a primary vehicle. Very few could afford to buy one just to be a 3rd “fun car”

Personally I hate my sec gen as a daily driver. It’s not practical....it’s fun, performs well. But it’s not a take it on a road trip, go grocery shopping, drive it in the winter, load up the kids...it’s a race car. People want universal cars. This is why people gravitate to those performance family cars.

Mustang is in the same boat...nice looking car, but it’s a fun car.

Consider this dynamic too...your middle age people who had the money, kids grown up back in the 60s-70s...these middle age group are starting families at 35-45. They are looking for a minivan..not a Camaro

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I didn't know 2016 was considered new generation until I started looking at a used 2013 ZL1 and comparing it to later ZL1s. I could see some differences here and there between 2015 and 2016, but surely not enough to consider 2016 a new generation. I thought the difference should be substantial in the body at least, like going from a 2nd gen to a 3rd gen. Oh well, I'm not in marketing so what would I know.

10. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

All im going to say is i sat in a 2019 vette and my desire for a new camaro vanished.